t w e n t y s e v e n » y ū g e n

not edited

— yūgen —
(n) an awareness of the universe that triggers emotional responses too deep and mysterious for words
orgin ; japanese

"Happy Birthday, Adrianna," came a chorus of voices as I yelped and rushed to pull my coverlet over my half clothed body. I was more than half asleep, my eyes were wide open yet my vision was blurry, and I was literally only dressed in a silk bralette and very short yoga shorts.

"What time is it," I ask, yawning, my voice thick with sleep.

"12 am, Adrianna," came Phoenix's cheeky voice and though I couldn't see clearly, I could make out his figure standing in front of the gang with a cake in his hand. I'm 18.

"Is Marl here?" I asked, feeling around for my glasses.

"I'm right here, Adrianna," I hear Marlowe reply, trying to stifle his laughs.

"Right well I'm batshit blind right now and I have no idea where in hell my glasses or contacts are," I snap back, squinting at the figures in front of me. After a few more seconds of feeling around, I finally had my glasses in my hand. And now putting them on, I realise how bright the light was on in my room and how lovely of a migraine I had. Fuck me.

"Okay, too bright, goodnight," I rushed out before sliding under the blanket. They all laughed at me. The audacity!

"Alright Adri, come on, we dimmed it a bit," Blake laughed. I slowly peeked with one eye and the lighting was a much better brightness for my throbbing headache. Slowly, I peeked at them, barely pushing the covers down past my eyes and once I saw the room was dimly lit, it was then I got out from under the covers and sat up straight against my headboard. I felt Phoenix's eyes on my body, burning right through me, but I refused to meet them. I barely uttered anything to him in the past three days and I flipped out on him when I woke up after blacking out a few days ago. I demanded to know how the hell he got into my house when I was sure I locked the door. Just imagine my surprise when he told me he had a key, given specially to him from my father. Urghh, car whores!

"Adri, I didn't know you wear glasses," came Pyper's voice the same time Phoenix whined, "Adrianna, hurry up and blow the candles, the cake is heavy as fuck."

I giggled slightly and leaned forward toward the cake. Marlowe came and took a seat next to me, also leaning forward to blow the candles. It took us no more than three seconds and then immediately after, we threw our arms around each other, bubbling with laughter.

It was as soon as we pulled away that Pyper ran and jumped on me, - taking me by surprise - throwing her arms around me and hugging me to death, repeatedly saying 'happy birthday Adri.' Though I was practically suffocating, I loved this girl to death and hugged her back just as tight. The guys came, surrounding me but before any of them could do anything, Marlowe pushed them back and kissed me on the cheek.

"She is my birthday twin, so y'all can take your sorry asses away, I get to kiss her first," he said with way too much sass. He did a whole imaginary hair flip along with it and even I was taken aback.

Blake scoffed, "Okay and? She is my best friend, I believe I get to kiss her first," he walked over to me and kissed me on the cheek, "But since you did already, Harrison, I guess we'll just have to fight it out with a bottle of tequila," he finished with narrowed eyes. The last statement had me laughing, "You guys are fighting over who gets to kiss me first?"