t h i r t y f o u r » s a u d a d e

not edited

— saudade —
(n) a deep melancholy or nostalgia felt when yearning for something or someone — who is not there
origin ; portuguese

"I wanna go to the skating rink," Pyper declared out of nowhere. We were all lazing around the living room of the Worthington's mansion, with absolutely nothing to do. More so, Blake and Marlowe were sitting upside down on the wintry grey couch playing concentration*.

Phoenix seemed to have all his attention fixated on me as my I laid down and had my head in his lap on another couch. His long, slender fingers ran through my hair on a loop and he seemed to not even realise his sister's suggestion. Sounded a bit more of a demand to me, but I'll be nice anyways.

"The skating rink?" Judah questioned, looking from his phone where his eyes were fixed on.

"Yes Judah," I looked to see Pyper roll her eyes, "You know that place where you lace up roller skates or roller blades and skate around?"

"I'm so sorry," he muttered sarcastically.

"Phoenix, let's go," she snapped at her older brother.

"Sorry what," Phoenix shook his head lightly, snapping out of whatever trance he was, looking up at her. Immediately he pulled his hand away from my hair and fiddled with the gold Kendra Scott necklace I had on.

"The. Skating. Rink," Pyper said through gritted teeth, irritation quickly replacing her features.

"Okay, I'll drive," her brother answered nonchalantly and she squealed.

"Adri, you know how to skate, right?" Blake questioned.

I thought for a second about being honest and saying 'no,' but with one glance in Pyper's direction, the words 'of course' tumbled out of my mouth instead with a wide smile. Her face was lightened up with excitement as she grabbed her vans and slipped them on. It was in clear clarity how much the girl wanted to go out, get out of this bloody mansion and have some fun. I'd feel terrible if we did go because I didn't know how to skate. Let's just see how royally screwed over I've made myself.

§

"Adrianna, do you know what size you are for skates?" Phoenix asked, his voice loud enough to be heard over the current music blasting through the speakers. We were the only two left to get skates and the rest went to get a table, or booth?

"I'm a five and a half," I said rather quietly, but surprisingly, he heard. He got a pair for himself and I before taking my hand in his and taking us away to the rest of the crew.

We were settled in a circular booth and I laced up the pair of blades realising they were blades once I was done and attempting to stand up. And of course they all noticed my struggle.

"Adrianna, you don't know how to skate?" Pyper frowned.

"Never learned," I smiled cheekily, "But I said yes because I saw the look on your face, you were dying to come. And I didn't want to be the one to stop you," I smiled nervously.

"Adri," she smiled back in pure happiness and skated over to me, "You're the freaking best, I love you," she wrapped her arms around me and I had to try and not fall. I had absolutely no balance whatsoever.