{𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓 𝕽𝖚𝖓𝖊𝖘}

"So...your runes turn gold now?" Izzy questioned me. Once we'd helped the girl with her possession hangover, Alec and I had decided to tell Izzy, Clary and Magnus about my runes, despite the fact Jace wasn't here also.

"How did it even appear on you?" Magnus questions - we had decided to FaceTime him in order to tell him considering the Institute was currently a Downworlder no-go zone

"I don't know" I admit, "I was just thinking about the fact that Alec had drawn it on not long before but that now it had disappeared when it suddenly reappeared"

"Interesting" Magnus muses, "And the rune is still there now?"

I look down at my arm. It had been at least three hours since it had reappeared and it was still there, as strong as ever, "It hasn't even faded"

"I want you to try something for me, Cami" Magnus instructs, "I think I have a theory. Think about a rune that you've had drawn on you before, possibly one in a more hidden spot, just in case someone sees them and finds it weird. Think about when it was drawn, relive the memory"

"Ok..." I ponder, thinking about the runes I'd had drawn on me previously. Finally, I settled on my invisibility rune, which was on the back of my neck, easily hidden with my hair. I though back to when Clary had hastily drawn the Invisibility rune on the back of my neck after we'd run from Alec...

"Oh my God!" Clary gasps, "It just appeared, and it's gold too"

"That's what I thought" Magnus muses, "Ok, Cami, try think of a rune you haven't put on you yet, try to imagine it in a space on your skin, will it to be there."

"I'm not sure which one" I frown, trying to pick one

"Try this one" Alec suggests, pointing to my favourite rune on him. The blocking rune, the one expanding up the side of his neck and I nod, gulping from the heat suddenly in my chest.

I think hard trying to picture it on my neck, in the same place as Alec's...but nothing happens.

"Why didn't it work?" Izzy wonders

"Draw it on her" Magnus directs, "Wait for it to fade and then get her to think about it again, if it appears when she thinks about it, my theory is correct."

"Okay" Alec nods, pulling his stele out of his pocket, "Where did you want it?"

"Where you have yours" I mumble, the words running together as my check flush in embarrassment

"Where?" Alec repeats, frowning, "I didn't get that"

"Where...ahem" I clear my throat, my face burning, "Where, um, where you have yours"

"Oh" Alec smiles, nodding slightly and moving his hand to the left side of my neck, tracing the same blocking rune onto it, "Okay it's there and it's black, the way it should be..."

Roughly 7 minutes pass and then Izzy spots the rune

"It's already fading!" Izzy exclaims, "And now it's gone."

Needing no further instruction, I think about Alec having just drawn it, my embarrassment, the feeling of his warm hands on my skin...

"It's back" Clary announces, "And it's gold, like the others."

"Your theory is correct then, Magnus" I note, "What is your theory anyway?"

"It seems the muscle memory is at work again" Magnus ponders, "My theory is that runes that have been placed previously can be called upon and activated by will instead of with a stele. Once called upon, they settle and turn gold. However, ones you've never used before must be seared on with the stele, where it will work for a short period of time, at the moment a very short period of time, and then must be called upon again. If my theory is really correct, you should be able to call on every rune by will after it's first been drawn."