{𝕻𝖗𝖊𝖏𝖚𝖉𝖎𝖈𝖊}

It had been a while since Valentine's attack and things had become quiet recently - a little too quiet, if you ask me.

Affairs at the Institute had, for the most part, been returned to normal and Valentine had been imprisoned in the Institute's cells, pending his immediate transferal to Idris...as soon as he revealed where the Cup was, anyways, which didn't seem to be a likely to happen anytime soon.

And though the Sword had been deactivated, thanks to a new rune - this time of Clary's creation, it had gone missing. The only question was...who had it now?

"Thinking again?" Alec's voice penetrated my thoughts, his arms sliding around my waist, holding me tight to him. One of his hands travelled to my face, smoothing the skin of my forehead out of it's lines of tension, "Or is 'worrying' the word I'm looking for?"

"Both" I sigh, resting my hands on his arms, leaning back into his support, "I'm worried about everything lately"

"What's there to worry about?" Alec replies, his breath blowing my hair, "Valentine's finally captured, Simon, Magnus and Luke were all safe from the blast, things with us are...definitely more than good..."

I suppressed a smile at the final comment, a deep warmth stirring within me that I fought to ignore - with the quiet of the Institute had come a fair amount of downtime for Alec and I and we had certainly used it wisely.

"Not everything is good" I rebut, turning in the circle of his arms to grant him a welcoming, short kiss before stepping out of his warmth, heading for the bed, "Jace and Clary, for example"

After the revelation that Jace was, in fact, not our biological brother in any way, he had decided to tell Clary and potentially re-ignite the romance I was sure had never died in the first place but, of course, Jace had walked in on Clary and Simon, coupling it up and sharing many a kiss and cuddle in the warm daylight.

Yes, daylight.

Apparently, something had turned Simon flame-retardant and he could now enjoy the sun's rays as much as any other person, which of course, was great but Jace's seeing the two of them together had convinced him it was better the way it was.

I, for one, knew that was absolute bullshit and that the truth would inevitably come out and make things several times worse. He, unsurprisingly, didn't listen to me and made me swear on Alec not to tell her - which I agreed to.

Hey, I never said I wasn't an idiot, too.

"I'm training with Jace soon, I'll talk to him again, I promise" Alec ensures me, without my needing to ask - he knew the drill by now

"Thank you" I smile at him, "My knight in shining armour"

"At your service" Alec said with a phoney British accent before diving into a deep bow so low his head almost touched my lap. He left a small kiss on my barely-covered knee before rising again.

"My hero" I swoon, adopting the damsel-in-distress gesture and flopping back onto the bed. Alec took the opportunity to clamber on top of me - although clamber is a bit of a gross description for his lithe, graceful movements

"Seriously, baby, you need to stop worrying" Alec repeats, his brow furrowing, worrying lines etching into their place on his forehead

I smoothed them out with my fingers, copying his gesture from earlier, "Now you need to stop worrying"

"I don't think I'll ever stop worrying about you"

"Ditto"

"I guess we're at another impasse" Alec smirks and I smile broadly back, that is, before he tacks on, "I'm also gonna go see Izzy today"