{𝕽𝖚𝖓𝖎𝖈 𝕽𝖊𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘}

"The Sword needs angelic energy, right?" I ask Cleophas as we exit the Citadel. I already knew it did but asking was a last-ditch, if futile, attempt to destroy the idea I'd come up with

"To activate the Sword, it must be wielded by an angelic being, and struck by a bolt of lightning" Cleophas informs and I almost groan at her roundabout way of confirming my suspicions.

Couldn't these people just answer with a simple 'yes'?

"Then it's capable of mass murder" I sigh, noticing Clary's distressed glance in my direction, "Of killing my friends, my family...If Valentine does activate the sword then how do we shut it off?"

"It is impossible" Cleophas denounces

Greaaaat.

"So then we have to stop Valentine from activating it" I mutter to myself and Clary's frustration finally rears it's head

"God, Cami, what is it?!" Clary exclaims, "What do you think Valentine's planning? You still haven't said anything about it."

"He's going to activate it...somehow...and then use it to kill all demons. Including Downworlders" I explain and my mind goes straight to Magnus, of him lying on the floor, dead and unmoving...

I shake my head rapidly, willing the thoughts in my head to stop.

We won't let that happen.

I won't let that happen.

"I can't lose Luke too" Clary whispers and my eyes unconsciously drift to hers, connecting for a millisecond before i drag them away.

I only needed that millisecond to see all the pain losing out mother had created.

And it was because of me.

"You mustn't let the Downworld know what the Sword can do" Cleophas announces quickly, her tone losing only a slight bit of the airiness in which the Sisters love to speak, "Panic and chaos could ensue. Uprisings. We cannot let that happen."

For a moment, we stand in silence, thinking, musing...and then something occurs to me.

"Sister Cleophas...I need to ask you something" I begin slowly, taking a tentative step forward, whilst hoping that Clary will catch on as I go, "I was in a spot of trouble the other day and I was given a message...a vision, if you will, of a rune."

I quickly give Clary a firm but small shake of my head when I notice her mouth open, no doubt to correct me, take the fall.

If anyone was going to be locked in a prison cell and experimented on like a lab rat, it was going to be me.

"What kind of rune?" Cleophas asks

"I don't know" I shake my head, "It's not in the gray book"

"Can you show me?"

I nod, pulling the collar of my shirt down just enough to expose the hidden rune. Then, I go one step further and again out Magnus' theory to the test. Thinking of the rune, what it does when activated and imagining the bright, golden light it omits...

Sure enough, the rune activates, blasting a cone of pure sunlight from my upper chest and out into the corridors outside the Citadel. They hadn't looked dark before but in the new, outstanding light, it was as if they'd been shrouded in darkness.

"Do you think it's possible our mother sent it?" Clary asks when the rune's light fades, "As an angel?"

I grit my teeth, shooting her a glare but he attention is solely focused on Sister Cleophas, hoping for the answer I knew she wouldn't get.

"Jocelyn was kind and loving. And an angel to you, perhaps" Cleophas denies gently, "But no, she's not an angel in the Shadow World. Our angels are beloved winged celestial beings."

"So...what about Mom?" Clary whispers, dejected and I see that same pain from before, "What happens to her?"

"That, my dear, has always been as much a mystery to Shadowhunters as it is to mundanes"

Clary takes a sharp breath and nods slowly before turning her back, muttering a weak 'thank you' to Cleophas and a small 'i'll go find izzy' to me. My heart breaks as I watch her leave and i force myself not to think about why she was so sad.

"How did you do that?" Cleophas' voice shocks me from my tormented thoughts and I turn to face her. Her face had changed again and she had that same look everyone else had given me when I'd first entered the pool - awe, shock and admiration.

"I told you I don't know how I-"

"Not that" Cleophas interrupts, "How did you activate your rune without using a stele?"

"I..." I stutter. Should I be telling this stranger everything about my wacky nature? Luke's sister or not, I didn't feel like I could trust her, "I don't know...My friend has some theories, most have turned out to be true, but I..."

"I have never encountered a Shadowhunter capable of such things" Cleophas' voice maintained the same aura her facial expression communicated - awe and admiration, "And your runes...they're gold"

Having taken Magnus' earlier advice, I'd taken it upon myself to completely cover myself up when in the eyes of the public or fellow Shadowhunters. No one had seen my golden runes apart from my friends and the Iron Sisters, who had insisted on me putting on that ridiculous white lace dress.

Something told me that golden runes on, as far as they knew, a 'mundane' would raise a few alarm bells.

"My friend had a theory for that too" I begin, "Something about the breaking of the angelic backbone for my-"

I cut myself off again, still unsure whether to reveal everything.

"Your curse?" Cleophas guesses and my face must register my shock because she chuckles for a second and continues, "Yes, I know about that and about your current...or should I say, previous, nature. Mundani?"

I nod, stunned.

"We have our ways of knowing things here" Cleophas acknowledges, "It's our job"

"Right..." I mutter, "Hey, Sister Cleophas...why has everyone been giving me these awed looks...and why was the water gold for me but silver for the other girls?"

"You've answered one of your questions yourself" Cleophas points out, "The Sisters cannot figure out why the water turned gold for you but that is the reason for the, as you say, 'awed looks'"

"What's so special about gold water?"

"It's unheard of, apart from history books" Cleophas frowns, "You see, the only record we have of the waters turning gold was when the angel, Ithuriel, came to the ground, for a holy reasoning unknown to us. When he arrived, he landed in the heavenly waters used for the purity trial...they were said to have turned gold."

*******

I wonder if you guys are catching on to what I'm putting down with all this 'gold' stuff around Cami??

Anyways, that last part is 100% made up by me and has not been taken from the books or show, I'm just using it to explain away my crazy ass plot points for cami's badass charachter lol

How are you liking book 2 so far?

Worthy of a third?

Let me know!

Happy Reading! xx