{𝕾𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕾𝖎𝖒𝖔𝖓...𝖆𝖌𝖆𝖎𝖓}

GUYS!!!

Just thought I'd let you know that the first book in this series, Frayed, has been nominated for a Watty Award this year!

I just wanted to thank you guys for the opportunity and I hope you guys are still enjoying this book as much as I enjoy writing it.

Now that I'm back from holiday, I will hopefully be uploading more regularly again.

Happy Reading!! x

***

By the time I arrived at Magnus' apartment, Clary's phone was ringing with daunting finality. My quick eyes caught the name a split second before she answered the phone, bewildered and confused.

Simon.

I appeared by her side, though she barely noticed me, for her eyes were glued to the horrifying picture of Simon next Valentine, tied to a chair, his eyes hard and angry - an unusual expression of our usually bubbly and bright friend.

"Oh my God!" Clary gapes, "Simon, are you okay?"

I felt a hand on my shoulder but didn't spare a glance, knowing it was Magnus.

"Simon's fine" My father's voice rang out from the phone, so cold and unfeeling...it was chilling to think that any single part of this man had made me, "We've just been having a nice talk. You know, he told me your greatest wish was to get to know your old man. Which is funny because it's always been my wish to get to know my daughter."

His eyes flickered to me, and he amended his words, "...Daughters."

"And so, I'm here and I'm waiting for you. Either of you, both of you. Whichever." Valentine dismisses - so much for wishing to get to know us, "And frankly, well...girls, I'm losing my patience."

Valentine stands abruptly, his hand gripping Simon's mouth, his chin, and wrenching it upward. From outside the screen, out of our limited view, he grabs for the Soul Sword, swinging it to rest on the side of Simon's neck...and then pulling it along the length of it.

The sound of tearing flesh and gushing blood made me cringe and I gasped in horror, Clary echoing my sentiment, only with more hysteria. The blood seeped relentlessly out of the wound, pooling on his shoat, soaking it.

Valentine's face was so close to the screen, every feature was visible. I recoiled reflexively, never wanting to be near that close to him, even through a screen.

"The vampire has a half-hour, maybe 40 minutes, before he turns to dust" His eyes, again flicker to me, "Even less if we find the Lightwood boy."

My lips curl back over my teeth and I growl, a pitiful sound compared to any kind of animal, but an impressive sound for a human.

I'd always had the instinctive ability to hiss and growl as if I were non-human and it had become a habit since I was young - it was a strange ability but pleasing when enemies would recoil from the unnatural, inhuman sounds.

Of course, Valentine was unaffected, just amused.

"Come quick, girls" Valentine urges, the first hint of true desperation colouring his tone, "He needs blood to survive."

"Portal me to the Institute" Clary demands, barely a second after Valentine hung up, no doubt the image of Simon's exposed, torn throat lingering behind her eyelids the way it was behind mine.

"We can't..." Magnus tries to reject but Clary wasn't having it

"Now!" Clary yells, her hair spiralling around her in a great sea of orange flames as she turns to face him again, her face hard and cold and I knew there was no getting around it.