{𝕬𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝕽𝖚𝖓𝖊, 𝕬𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝕽𝖚𝖑𝖊}

Hah!

So much for that.

"Any word from Magnus or Luke?" Clary asks, speeding to mine and Alec's side so fast I could practically see cartoon motion lines stroking off of her. In her wake was Jace.

Damn it. He really can't leave well enough alone, can he?

"No. With Valentine free, the Downworld Cabinet has been holding secluded meetings at the Seelie Court."

"That's not good" Jace sighs

"You think anything good happens at the Seelie Court?" Clary scoffs and I shoot her a glare - the double meaning in her words was unmistakable.

"The Clave isn't gonna let this go unpunished. The inquisitor sent an envoy to assess the situation. Chances are, they'll be the ones replacing me as the head of the Institute."

"Not if we recapture Valentine" I suggest, the harshness of my tone a little too strong. Not only had my father fucked up my life, unwillingly forced me to become a Shadowhunter potentially risking my life and killing my mother but he was now also the root cause of my boyfriend's potential firing.

"Sebastian and all available personnel are searching" Izzy chimes in, "We already know Duncan managed to hijack the portal."

"If he was Luke's accomplice, he could have been orchestrating the secret transfer all along." Jace says.

"Listen, I appreciate the effort, but Valentine escaped on my watch. I deserve to take the heat for it."

"No you damn well don't!" I scream and a few heads turn toward us, but I ignore them, "This is not your fault! My fucking father is just a slippery little-"

"This isn't your fault, Alec. It's mine" Izzy refuses, cutting me off before my string of profanities could insult too many more Shadowhunter personnel, "I was the one in charge of the transfer team."

"Hey, we both were" Jace utters, "Look, Alec, you are a good leader. You can't just let Imogen fire you over something you didn't do."

"Alec will do as he's ordered" A man's voice intrudes on our conversation and we all turn to face none other than Robert Lightwood.

"Dad?" Izzy gapes

"What are you doing here?" Alec questions

"I'm the Clave's envoy. We need to talk."

***

"You asked Alec to assign both of us to search Staten Island?" Clary demands of Jace, storming into the room

"Yeah, I needed someone I could trust" Jace replies and Clary stays silent, raising an eyebrow in suspicion, apparently not having noticed me yet, "You're the one who said finding Valentine had to be a priority."

"Yeah, but I didn't mean we had to search together" Clary sighs

"Well, it's a good thing I'm here then, isn't is, sis?" I interrupt, standing from my chair and moving to the table where Jace already stood, piles of papers and books in front of him.

The look in her eyes was both relieved and frustrated, "What, so you're my chaperone?"

"No" I glare, "I want to find Valentine as much as anyone - potentially more. Sometimes I think you guys forget that out of all of us siblings and...sibling adjacents, I've been the most wronged. It's not a competition but don't forget he kidnapped, almost killed and continues to use me as a pawn. You two are the favourites and like always I'm the runt."

My unexpected rant surprised us all but Clary seemed the most hurt, "Cami, I..."

"It's not important. Finding Valentine is." Looking back down at the papers, I recognise a map...a familiar map, "Wait, Jace...this is Idris."