{𝕸𝖆𝖉𝖟𝖎𝖊'𝖘 𝕸𝖎𝖘𝖈𝖔𝖓𝖈𝖊𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓}

We sprung to action quickly, dressing hurriedly, picking out the many items of clothing from the floor. I opted for Alec's discarded black shirt instead of my button up. Alec raised an eyebrow, both amused and turned on whilst he reached for a new shirt. I pulled his over my head, it smelled just like him, as if we were still laying in the bed together rather than preparing for yet another crisis.

We entered the main briefing room in less than 10 minutes, hand in hand. Aldertree and a few other Shadowhunters had already arrived, armed with their weapons. In our free hands, we held our own - a sword for me, a bow for Alec. His quiver full of arrows was swung over his back, ready and waiting should he need them.

"I thought these wards were airtight" Aldertree comments

"How many soldiers are there?" Alec demands

"Only two dozen" Aldertree responds, amending when he catches sight of me, "...Plus one. Everyone else is out dealing with the Downworld attacks."

"I'll take the entry."

"We'll cover the weapons room."

In this small conversation, it seemed the power to call the shots had been handed to Alec. It was clear in the way he spoke, the way he held himself, the way Aldertree responded to his words as if they were commands and not requests.

I smiled in spite of myself, allowing to spare a glance at Alec, momentarily distracting me as I followed his lead, my hand still clasped in his.

"Valentine's work?" A fellow Shadowhunter questions as we make our way to the entry

"Only one way to find out" Alec comments, releasing my hand to grip his bow properly. I sigh softly and ready myself too, noticing the corners of Alec's mouth lift jus slightly in response to my disappointment.

At that moment, the entry doors open and everyone pauses at the sight of a little girl...a little girl I knew all too well.

"Wait!" I object before anyone can make a movement, "Don't shoot, she's just a kid!"

"What's a little girl doing her all alone?" The Shadowhunter asks

"She's a warlock" Alec responds, removing his bow from his firing hand to rest by his side, I shadow him, as if magnetically pulled towards him and we walk in sync towards the girl, three Shadowhunter bodies strew beside her tiny figure.

"Madzie" I smile gently, my gaze flickering from the bodies to her face, "Madzie...did you..."

She doesn't say anything, as expected, but stays silent. Then, with a wave of her hand, she magically shoves Alec and I into the waiting elevator beside us, closing the doors behind us quickly.

I land on top of Alec, feeling the breath knock out of him from underneath my body.

It was electrifying, being this close to him again. It had been barely three hours since I'd been close to him this way, but I already felt starved of him, as if it hadn't been a day but a month - several months.

Our eyes met, boring into each other's with a surprising amount of intensity given the situation. My hands were sprawled on his chest, having reflexively braced myself against the first solid thing I could find. My legs were tangled with his, his arms raised from the elbow, having braced himself of the impact. The position reminded me so much of how I'd straddled him earlier, tracing the lines of his block rune with my tongue...

The sounds of our fellow Shadowhunters grunting and gasping for air springs us into action and we leap apart from each other gracefully, both looking a little sheepish that our moment of passion - all of which happened in the space of 2 seconds that felt line an eternity - had distracted us from the task at hand.