{𝖀𝖓𝖊𝖝𝖕𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖊𝖉}

Our brief, romantic moment was thoroughly, completely over when less than five minutes later, Clary and Jace send us an urgent message, needing to talk to us about something important.

"Ok, what's so dire?" I sigh, striding in hand in hand with Alec

"You might wanna...sit down, Cami" Clary suggests, eyes filled with a wary concern

"Why?" I frown - nothing good could come of this, I'm sure.

"Just...do it, okay?"

With an exasperated sigh, I follow her suggestion, plonking myself down into the plush, old chair. Alec remains standing, his hand still in mine.

"Okay, done. Now what is it?"

"Well, you already know we didn't find anyone at Valentine's cabin, of course, but we did find something." Jace begins, pulling a thick, oldish volume from the table into his hands, "Valentine's notes regarding a few of his...experiments."

"Experiments? Like the angel blood he used on you and Clary?" Alec inquires

"Yeah, only, Clary isn't written in here. But there's notes in this book talking about two boys. Me and...Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern."

"Okay, we already know he called you that after our dead brother, the one who died in the fire as an infant so..." I trail off, confusion overtaking me.

"Yes, but, the notes in here refer to a Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern and a Jonathan Christopher Herondale. Two seperate names, two seperate experiments, two types of blood and these notes have been updated as recently as 10 years ago...which means-"

"We really do have a brother" I breathe, cutting Clary off.

"It's...it's more than that, Cami" Clary eases, eyes drifting to the spiralled notes, "Jonathan Morgenstern...his birthday is the same as yours. To the year."

My breath comes out of me in a violent gust and I find I really am grateful for Clary's previous advice, for the hand now squeezing mine, anchoring me to a world that just completely got turned upside down.

I don't just have a brother.

I have a twin.

***

Not only did Clary and I have a new brother - a new twin, for me, but he was also untraceable and unattianable.

It was Clary who had the idea to use the real Jonathan's baby keepsakes to trap him but unfortunately, she wasn't the only one with the quick thinking because those keepsakes - that little blue shoe, the rattle. They were gone.

Which brings us right back to square freaking one.

"Any sign of Jonathan?" Alec inquires, just as Max leaves the room - oh, right. He has training with Izzy today. 

"No. We tracked the box itself but it was a dead end" I sigh, feeling a small pair of eyes on me, "I think we may have an audience..."

All four of us turn to see Max, making no effort to hide his eavesdropping and I smile softly. Max, making eye contact with his eldest sibling, rolls his eyes softly and turns away, making his way off down the hall.

"So Valentine sent Duncan to steal a pair of baby booties?" Alec sighs

"Someone did. Someone who wanted to circumvent us from tracking Jonathan" Jace confirms

"And now we have no leads on either of them. We've got nothing" Clary chimes in

"Actually, we have less than nothing" I bite, "And I think...there's something you should know."