{𝕮𝖔𝖕𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝕸𝖊𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖘𝖒𝖘}

We had long since returned from the Citadel and the new information of the heavenly waters was both frightening and enlightening - maybe Valentine had experimented on Jace with demon blood but if he'd taken a purer course of action the first time around...by injecting me with angel blood?

It was a harrowing thought, being experimented on before even being born and I wasn't even sure it was true, it was just a theory I'd been keeping to myself since Sister Cleophas' had mentioned Ithuriel's arrival, where the water had turned gold for him...but there was one thing that wasn't explained.

If I had been given angel blood, why hadn't I become a Shadowhunter in the first place, why a Mundani?

It was most likely a question I would never be granted the answers to but I had long since learned to accept that, in this world, not everything was going to make sense.

It was these thoughts that distracted me from paying attention to Alec's voice ringing through the room, the vibrations of it reverberating from his chest and to my head, where I had been laying for the better part of an hour now.

It was still hard to be so close to him, for him to hold me in his love and warmth each day because I truly didn't feel I deserved it but, whilst it was here, I may as well relish in it.

"Huh?" I murmur distractedly

"What were you thinking about?" Alec asks, his long fingers finding contact with a strand of my hair, looping it around his fingers softly

"Nothing" I lie, "What did you say just now?"

"I-" Alec begins but decides to let my thoughts go, knowing it to be futile to try and get me to fess up, "I was just apologising for pushing too hard the other day"

I knew he was referring to before I'd left for the Citadel, when he'd forced the subject of my mother's death onto me.

"Oh, no, Alec" I sigh, rolling onto my stomach to face him, "You don't need to-"

"Yes, I do. I know this is something you need some time to deal with alone...god knows, I would need it too if I lost my mother, or Izzy...or you"

"You'd never lose me" I chuckle, "I'm way too badass to die"

"Damn straight" Alec agrees, leaning over to press a chaste kiss to my lips but, suddenly, a blistering migraine splits through my head and I shriek in pain, sitting upright and gripping my head in my hands, gasping

"What? What? Camille, what's going on?"

Alec's words were muted by the pain pressing down on my head, crushing into my ears like a boulder...I could a faint scream and, at first, I thought it was mine but I soon realised it was a male scream.

As unexpectedly as it had come about, the pain and screaming suddenly disappeared in an instant and my eyes focused on Alec's ones, now right in front of me, his hands on either one of my shoulders.

"What was that?!" Alec exclaims

"Did you hear that?" I whisper, releasing my hair and dropping my hands to my sides

"Hear what?"

"Nothing" I shake my head, "Probably a side effect of that killer migraine"

I had the slightest urge to tell Alec what I'd heard but I figured, even in the Shadow World, hearing screaming men in your head wasn't a sign of great health.

"That was sudden" Alec muses, eyes narrowing suspiciously, "Are you okay?"

"Am now" I shrug, "Maybe it's just stress"