Chapter 2: Nice Door Step

I finished putting my last sweatshirt into my suitcase and zipped it up. I yanked it off of my bed and set it in the ground so it could easily roll. I put on my black Converse high tops and walked to my long mirror. I looked in the mirror to see a girl wearing a pair of light blue ripped shorts, a Nirvana crop tank, and a pair of black high tops.

I walked downstairs and saw my mom waiting for me with her suitcase for New York.

"Ready to go?" She asked grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I sighed and followed my mom outside to the car.

I threw my stuff in the trunk and she followed my actions. I walked to the passenger side of the car and got in. My mom put the key into the ignition and started off to Macy's house.

It was around 9:30 at night, I am tired and just want to go to bed. Today is the day that I move in with Daniel McCasey for a week and I'm not very happy about it.

The car and to a stop and I got out.

"Joey, do you promise to behave?"

"Yes mom, I'm not 10. I'll behave." I said rolling my eyes and pulling my bag out of the back. I took a deep breath and started making my way up the everlasting driveway.

"I'm gonna miss you sweetie!" My mom said running up to me and kissing the top of my head.

"Okay, bye mom." I said laughing and walking up the driveway. As I was making my way to the door Macy walked out and hugged me.

"Thank you so much for doing this. Just call me if Daniel or Millie are any trouble." She said running out to my mom's car not before giving me a quick hug.

I watched my mom and Macy drive off and turned to the gargantuan house in front of me and started walking. I got to the doorstep and knocked on the door. I heard a pitter patter of small feet and the door flung open revealing a small child who I assume is Millie.

"STRANGER DANGER!" Millie screamed and slammed the large door in my face.

"Millie, stop screaming!" I heard a deep voice say loudly but nowhere near as loud as Millie.

The door flung open and revealed the guy himself. Standing in front of me.

"How do I know you?" He asked. I looked down because I couldn't look at him. People say that if you look at his eyes you will instantly fall for him.

I can't do that.

"Look, I know that I am sexy, but you don't have to avoid looking at me." Daniel said rudely.

"I'm not avoiding looking at you, you just have, um, a nice doorstep." I said looking up and saw him looking down at me because his body towers over me.

Daniel rolled his eyes but continued to look at me as if I had 2 heads.

"Your pizza girl?" Daniel asked snapping his fingers as if something just had clicked in his head.

"I would rather you not call me that." I stated as he directed me inside.

"Whatever you say." He said leaving me to carry my bag upstairs.

I walked into the empty room and put my bag in the closet and gazed around the room.

There was a bed with pink sheets and a neon yellow quilt, the walls were plain white, and there was a small dresser with a mirror on top. I walked out of the room and down the hall to a door with bright pink letters on the door spelling out, 'MILLIE'. I knocked on the door and walked in to see Millie under her covers hiding from me probably. She came out from under her covers and instantly started breathing heavily when she saw me.

"Shhh, Millie. My name is Joey and your mom asked me to stay here with you and your brother while she is away." I said trying to settle her down.

I sat down on the end of her pink bed and rubbing her back.

"Hi Joey! So are you like my replacement mommy for this week?" She asked crawling onto my lap. Thinking about it, I guess I am her replacement mom for a week.

"I guess you could say that." ,I said giggling, "Have you had dinner yet?" I asked. I know how to cook but I'm not the best.

"No, but could I have a toasted cheese?" She asked giving my puppy dog eyes.

How could I say no to that face?

We walked downstairs and I got the bread, butter, cheese, and a pan. I started making the sandwich. While making it I found a note saying that Daniel left to go to his football game tonight and he would be home at 10:00pm.

I gave Millie her sandwich and we were sitting together watching Nemo. When the clock reached 9 I put Millie to bed and stayed awake watching YouTube.

There was loud noises coming from the other side of the front door, Daniel and three of his friends bursted in bringing their sweaty stench along with them.

"Excuse me." Daniel said walking over to me and grabbing my arm. He lead me up to my room and walked me inside of it. He closed the door behind him and turned to face me.

"Look mystery girl, I don't know who you are and I don't want to. Stay out of my way and out of my life. Understand? Good." Daniel said flatly and walked out of 'my' room closing the door behind him.

I heard him run down the steps and join with his friends again making as much noise as they possibly could.

I walked over to Millie's room to see if she was awake because for as much noise as the guys downstairs were making, I wouldn't be surprised.

Millie was laying in her bed staring up at the ceiling as if there was something she was trying to read up there. Her gaze was directed towards me when the door opened and she ran up to me hugging my legs. I felt her body trembling and I felt something wet land on my leg.

"Millie what's wrong?" I asked picking her up and carried her to my room. She clung on to me until I sat down on my bed and she took her arms off of my neck to look at me.

"I miss daddy." She said.

I remember my mom saying something about not bringing their father up so I don't really know how to handle this. I don't even know what had happened.

"Will it make you feel better to talk about why you miss him?" I asked looking into her chocolate brown eyes. She nodded and wiped the tears that were trying to fall.

"A few months ago my daddy had to leave to go to a far away place called Iraq. He is fighting for our country. I am proud that he is fighting for our freedom but I wish he was here." She said.

At this moment I didn't feel like I was talking to a four year old, I felt like I was talking to someone my age. What she said made me feel sorrowful towards her because for a 4 year old girl, she understands so much about love and caring.

I couldn't resist but I had to hug her. I wrapped my arms around her small body and just cried. Her small arms went around my neck and we just sat there crying together, not saying anything.

A few minutes later I grew enough courage to talk to her.

"I know how you feel. My dad isn't ever coming back. He passed away two years ago. I miss him a lot but it always gets better and it will for you too." I said hugging we once again.

I walked her over to we room and tucked her into bed.

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise." I said giggling as we linked our pinkies together.

I walked back to my room, changing into a pair of pajamas. I turned off the lights and laid down in my bed looking out my window.

"It always gets better." I whispered to myself before I fell into a deep slumber.