Chapter 10: Reactions and Revenge

I walked into school that day with my head held high. I for once felt not invisible and that I was worth more than how I was treated here. I felt like I was meant to be here and it felt good.

"You seem really confident today." Daniel said smiling and looking down at our intertwined hands.

"Sorry."

"I think it's adorable." Daniel whispered in my ear.

I felt my face turn red as Daniel kissed my temples telling me it was alright.

As we walked through the halls together, our hands in each other's, everyone stopped to stare. It felt weird at first but felt good after a while.

"I'll see you next period." Daniel said pecking my lips and walking me to my first class of the day.

I waved goodbye and walked in to my usual seat next to Lindsey. Seconds later she walked in with a giant smile on her face.

"So, you and Daniel?" She asked wriggling her eyebrows.

"Not officially. But yesterday we kind of admitted that we love each other." I said letting a faint blush appear onto my cheeks.

"Ek!" Lindsey shrieked and the whole class looked back at us.

"Nothing to see here." I said smiling and everyone went back to what they were doing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I walked into my next class and was attacked by Daniel. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed the side of my cheek.

"I missed you." Daniel whispered in his deep, husky voice.

My heart started beating and my insides got warm. What I think is weird is that a few days ago I was no one. I blended into the crowd and now I partially stand out.

"I missed you too." I said walking a few inches away so Daniel, the popular football player, isn't seen with me, the awkward, invisible girl.

"I don't care what people think. You're my girl and I want everyone to know." Daniel said turning me so I was facing his upper chest.

"What do you-" My sentence was interrupted with Daniel's lips finding themselves on mine.

Daniel's lips moved in sync with mine and I felt like we were in our own little world. Daniel's lips tasted of mint bubble gum.

We separated our lips from each other's and rested our foreheads on each other's.

Around us we heard whoops, hollers, and multiple people clapping. I started smiling when Daniel moved a piece of my hair out of my face.

"Everyone listen up! I know that in the past I have dated many girls and I am usually called the player. Everyone knows that I never fall for someone but guess what? I'm whipped. Joey McDonald is mine and i am whipped." Daniel yelled as everyone clapped for our misfit relationship.

The bell rang and everyone in the hall went to their classes. Daniel's hand intertwined his hand with mine.

"You didn't have to do that." I said walking into the class.

"But I wanted to. Your mine and I want everyone to know."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I walked into lunch and all eyes were on me. I smiled awkwardly as I walked over to the lunch line.

"Your dating Daniel McCasey aren't you?" A girl named Brooklyn Daze, a cheerleader, asked.

"Um, yeah." I said laughing and getting lunch.

I walked over to Lindsey and my table and sat down. Lindsey was already there and was fidgeting.

"Hey! What's up?" I asked.

"Rebecca said that she is going to get back at you for dating Daniel." Lindsey said panicked.

"It's okay. No matter what she does I will be okay." I said.

Little did I know that what she would do would scar me for life.

*The next day*

I walked into school and many cold glares were thrown my way. I looked around and everyone seemed angry at me.

Lindsey walked up to me with worried eyes.

"What's-" I started but was interrupted by Lindsey dragging me away from everybody.

"Rebecca got her revenge." Lindsey said quietly.

As we turned the corner I saw her revenge. There were posters all over saying something that I never wanted to see.

'Joey McDonald killed her dad.'

I picked one up and read.

'That's right everyone. Joey McDonald, the invisible girl has a deep dark secret. She killed her father. Her whole family got into a car accident together because of her. At lunch we both will explain why.'

As I kept reading tears formed in my eyes. I looked up and down the hall to see Rebecca standing there laughing. I turned on my heels and limped outside of the school, in my boot cast, ignoring all of the cold glares. I ran out to the softball field and just laid on the bench in the dugout.

The majority of the snow has melted but our moms say that more and more just keeps piling up.

I looked out on the field and remembered how many games, practices, times pitching, and up to bats my dad had watched. My dad cheered me on from day one and told me when I made it in the big leagues, he would be there watching me. He told me when my team is in the collage championships and we are playing the last game and I am pitching, he will be there to see me throw the wining pitch.

He will be there.

Not physically but in my heart.

My thoughts were interrupted by someone walking over to me and sitting next to me. I didn't even have to look up to know who it was.

"I know what Rebecca wrote isn't true." Daniel said quietly.

"How did you find me?"

"I think I know you. You love to play and I knew you would be here. She said at lunch you are going to explain. What are you going to say?" Daniel said.

"I'm going to tell them the truth. It wasn't my fault and it was unavoidable. It was a drunk driver crash and I had nothing to do with it." I said letting more tears fall.

"Shh, don't cry." Daniel said taking my face in his hands.

"You have to be strong, for your dad. Rebecca only wants to break you down but show her you're more than glass. You don't deserve the bull crap she is giving you so stand up. I'll be right by your side when you tell everyone." Daniel said leaning down to kiss my lips for a few seconds.

Till lunch we just sat there cuddling in the cold in the dugout.

Couldn't ask for more.