Chapter 43: Make it like it was

Scottie

Today I was at my mother's home in The Garden District of New Orleans where she lived with her husband Tony. He was on a business trip in Los Angeles so now was the perfect time to have a serious one on one with my mother.

"So my beautiful daughter what did you want to speak to me about? How is married life treating you?" She asked with a smile.

I sighed staring at my wedding ring that I still haven't found the courage to take off, trying to find the words to explain how my world has come crashing down.

"To be honest mother my marriage has crashed and burned and is on its last leg I think." I blurted causing my mother to sit up on the purple plush loveseat she was sitting on.

"Do explain darling. Last I heard from you the two of you were head over heels. What happened?" She asked worriedly. Though initially she was not a big fan of Shawn, once the money started rolling in she made room for him in her heart.

"Well mother he cheated on me." She clutched her pearls like an old southern woman at my news.

"There must be a mistake! Scottie honey are you sure you didn't just misunderstand what was going on? I mean you know us women often jump to conclusions." She said trying to reason with me.

But nah she can't be serious. Right?

"First of all I didn't have to jump to anything, my Giselle, Shawn and the bitch he got pregnant confirmed it a-

I was cutoff by my mother.

"He had a baby with this woman!? Oh! Scottie darling I'm so sorry. He should pay for what he did." My mother said reaching for my hand to comfort me.

"Yeah he should pay. I'm thinking about di-

"Oh! I know dear. Matching mother and daughter sports cars should do the trick. And as far as that child we'll just get a gag order for the whore and call it a day." She said smiling sitting back in her seat.

She was all giddy sipping her champagne as if she found the key to life. But in actuality everything she said was utter bullshit.

"Matching cars and Gag orders! Mom do you hear yourself? That is not going to fix this shit! Like do you even care about my feelings or is this just a perfect opportunity for you to stick my husband for money?" I snarled. My mother had lost her entire damn mind.

"Hold on missy! Don't take that tone with me I am your mother. I just think you're over reacting. All men cheat it's who they are. But with a successful man like Shawn you have to roll with the punches. Use his wrong doings for self gain." She said once again as if she was dropping pure knowledge.

Tuh!

"Not mine though! My man wasn't a cheater. He kissed the ground I walked on and loved me without limitations. But I neglected him and his needs just to fulfill these perfect aspirations you've been beating into my head since I was little. Shawn was absolutely wrong for what he did, but my friends and him have been begging me to slow down, but I can't because I'm too busy trying to make you proud. Something I feel like I've never felt from you." I said with tear filled eyes. My pot had finally boiled over.

"Oh please! Don't blame me for your misfortunes. I did everything as a mother to make sure you had the best possible life after your father was killed. Imagine being a girl immigrant from England living in Hollygrove. That shit wasn't easy. I just wanted you to be somebody because I wasn't shit! Your father and I were drug dealers. We destroyed families and robbed children of their parents with our way of life. I wanted you to work hard because that's what I had to do.