Chapter 12: Ely

It's Monday morning, I have been dreading this day all weekend. James and I are barely okay after her insecurities Friday night. I noticed the awkwardness between Sarah and James but never did I think that James would read the situation that way. The more I've chewed it over this weekend the more I want to look into moving Sarah under another Junior Partner, just so that things like this could be avoided. My thoughts are washed away and the picture is crystal clear there is no other option than to transfer her, she does great work and she nailed this client down for another 10 years so her assignment will be in lingo for sometime any how.

Making up my mind to go to my father and discuss the situation I hop out of the shower. Drying off hurriedly then wrapping the towel around my waist I cross to the closet, James is still asleep. This furrows my brows and is slightly disappointing. She has made my breakfast everyday before work since the morning after our board game date.

Dressing quickly in my stone colored suit with a navy button down underneath before wrapping the burgundy tie around my neck, I head out of the bedroom James still asleep and make my way to the kitchen, I didn't allow extra time to cook so I reach for some apple and cinnamon oatmeal- pop it in the microwave and drop some bread in the toaster. Dropping a k-cup down in the Keurig and slide my favorite mug under before pressing start. Now that I have an instant breakfast going I tie my tie quickly and get out the butter and creamer. Finishing preparing my meal I slide it up on the bar and head back to the room to grab my dress shoes and cuff links.

James is still in the same position that she was when I got up this morning, this is almost concerning. Choosing to let it be, I lean over and kiss her cheek  and head out of the bedroom to eat breakfast.

My phone chimes with an incoming message;

Sarah-Quincy needs help on the Maverick presentation this week, he asked if I could step in and we wanted to clear it with you first?-

Ely- This morning is fine to help out I'll let you know about anything past then.-

My message is short, dry, to the point. I need to talk to my dad before approving anything further.

Sarah-Sounds great see you soon ;)-

Why is she winking at me? Putting my phone in my breast pocket I deposit my dishes in the sink rinsing them before grabbing my brief cases and heading to work.

The commute to Sackstin and Monroe isn't long even with morning traffic, it's a straight shot up 35 which is nice, no traffic jam to intensify my already heighten anxiety.

Pulling into my assigned parking in the garage, gathering my stuff I step out of my blacked out Audi locking it before heading to the elevators. I punch the arrow up suddenly I see something red moving my way out of the corner of my eye.

Turning I see the tall blonde, her hair twisted low and back, her red and gold strapy heels click as she makes her way to me. Her face lights up when she catches me looking at her and that bright smile widens, "Good morning, how was your weekend?" She asks with sarcasm dripping from the last part. Fucking great

"Perfect, I spent the whole time with James hold up in our apartment" hoping that will stop her in her tracks.

"Explains why I never got celebratory drink, how about we go out tonight?" she's definitely not getting the hint.

"Oh yeah, it totally slipped my mind" I pull my phone and act like I'm doing something important. This elevator is taking fucking forever, my anxiety climbing. I don't need in an elevator with her, it could open wounds I've worked hard to heal.

The ding of the elevator breaks through the awkward silence, Sarah stepping forward into the elevator. I take just a moment still staring intently at my phone, "Shit, I forgot something in my car" I manage just as the doors begin to close.