Chapter 17: James

The last couple of months have flown by since our vacation, I officially have my own makeup line coming out 'Southern Glow' will launch in a few weeks. Jo and Billy have had their gender reveal and when Jo processed the film they burst out the dark room showing their black and white photo with a big blue bubble, I have a nephew coming- Abel Maddox Baxter will be here in four short months.

Jo has been put back on strict bed rest, something to do with the way the placenta lays. It sounds scary but she seems to be taking it well, her 'queen bell' is getting some good use.

Our life has been moving at lightening speed, Ely is really killing it at Junior partner. He's been on two more trips but with my makeup line I've been so busy those trips have seemed to fly by.

Ely- A few of us are going out for drinks after work.

James- Okay, I'll be home late.

Finding the right shimmery tone for my highlighter line is far harder than you think. The flash of a camera plays a big role since you want to glow not look like you've sweat through the whole ceremony. Softer tones are perfect for that special day, even though we are marketing brides I want my products to bleed into everyday life as well.

"We have this one, minimal light is refracted back from lights and flashes" Bree brings me the newest tone with photos of flash photography.

"Perfect! I love this one, it reminds me of a field of wheat. This honey color is perfect, Oh! let's go with 'Southern Honey'" I suggest.

"Love it!" Bree takes off to our this in our definite pile.

We have made great progress when my phone rings, Billy's name flashes across the screen. He never calls, my fear picks up on the realization.

"Billy?" My voice is soft as I try to hold my composure scared of what he has to say.

"Jay I need you to come down to St. David's.... hurry" his voice hitches in his throat at the last word then he disconnects the call.

"Oh God"  my voice shaking fighting back the tears but it's a losing battle because I'm scared. Grabbing my keys and purse I run to the door, "Bree I've gotta go" I yell bursting through the doors and run to my car.

I'm out of the parking lot before my car syncs with my phone, calling Ely the second I can. It rings and rings and I plead for him to pick up when I hear click.

"James" Ely yells over the background noise.

"Ely I need you, St David's.... now" I manage before sobs steal my breathe.

"Are you Okay? James?!" I can hear the noise begin to fade as he tells everyone he has to go, but not before I hear a familiar voice.

What the fuck!

Deciding to deal with it later, "It's Jo Ely" my tears blurring my vision as I speed down the highway.

"I'm on my way baby, keep your phone on and I'll call you when I get there, okay?" I nod not realizing he can't see me, "Baby be careful, I love you" he voice firm through the car, the noise in the background is fading.

"Hurry" I plea before hitting end call and focus on getting to the hospital. 

Running through the hospital I jump into the elevator at the last moment before punching the floor number for labor and delivery. Billy didn't say where Jo was but I know in my heart that is where she is.

Sprinting though the doors as they open I head to the nurses station.

"Please my sister" small lie, " Joey Baxter, what room?"  The nurse begins clicking seeing the desperation in my face, "down the hall last door on the left..." Her voice is small. I'm moving before she finishes.