Chapter 35: Ely

Jay is up and running to the bathroom before the sun comes up. She hasn't been taking this break in well, she is hardly eating and if she does it ends up coming back up anyways. Jo has extended her leave to help with all that is going on.

I get up and follow her to the bathroom pulling her hair back until she is done.

"You okay baby?" I rub her back as she leans her head on her arm over the toilet.

"Yea, it's just my nerves it'll get better once we know more." She lifts back up and her face is pale. I help her up and get her cleaned up and laying back down.

I'm supposed to go over and talk to the detective this morning, I hope Jo is up to help if James needs it. Her body has a weird way of dealing with stress, maybe that's why she avoided it like the plague.

I throw on a shirt and go out to the kitchen for some coffee. As I step into the living room I see Joey sitting in front of Paislee in her little bouncer. Paislee is smiling like a fool now and Jo loves to make her smile.

"So she's still throwing up?" Jo asks but her face is happy and smiling while my little princess watches.

"Yeah, I don't know what to do except stay on the cops asses so that we can get all of this shit figured out. I'm really scared she won't want to go back to the loft, I'm scared she won't...." My voice trails off not wanting to say it out loud.

"No Ely this isn't like last time, if you go back she is going back. It may scare the hell out of her but this isn't the same ol' Jay. This is the Jay who is surrendering to love." Joey winks at me and returns to Paislee getting a little squeal out of her. This makes us crack up laughing and we tag team the poor little thing trying to get her to do it again.

After my coffee I head the bathroom to get ready for my appointment with the detective. As I come back out Paislee is nursing and her little eyes are getting heavy. Thankfully momma is getting closer to six hour stretches a night so she's not as sleep deprived.

"Will you keep an eye on her while I'm gone?" I grab my keys and jacket ready to head out the door as soon as she acknowledges the question. Her hand flys up giving me a thumbs up, I know she is trying to get princess down for her morning nap but I have to make sure my girl will be okay while I go take care of this.

———————————

Forty-five minutes later I'm sitting in the detectives office as she goes over the footage and what they have come up with.

"You can see here the two just barely got out before you and James got on the elevator in the garage. We figured out how they were able to defile Ms. Edward's car without having a key to the elevator bay. The girl stayed behind, see, and your brother went out there and did the damage. We can see him doing it from a far away view so it makes it a little difficult to charge him. However when he raises the bat, my guys were able to zoom in on his shirt and clarify the image connecting the same T-shirt that he wore inside the building."

"Why the hell would he do this?" I ask myself more than her, but she doesn't bother to answer as she fast forward the tape to the new image of the girl looking down the hall while my brother breaks into my apartment.

"That's fucking Sarah" I seethe, my jaw so tight I'm surprised my back teeth aren't crushing under the pressure.

"Sarah? Sarah who" Detective Lawson asks her pen in her hand ready to write.

I take a deep breath, "Sarah fucking Johnson! She is suing my firm for wrongful termination on the grounds that me and her had a sexual relationship" I sit back, I'm so angry I want to put my fist through the tv.