MYSTIQUE

I inhale and exhale repeatedly as I reach for the door handle of my car, trying to prepare myself for the shocks and thrills I'm going to experience here in Asaba. I feel doubts creep in like volts of electric currents pushing through my belly like a ton of lead and there is nothing I can to about it.

  I take the handle and open the door only to come face to face with Roberts my childhood friend.

  "I thought you didn't want to come down!" He exclaims molding me in a full body hug.

  After a few seconds I successfully extricate myself and stare at his smiling face. "I was having a moment. You know how it is." I say to him with a smile on my face.

  "Yes I know how you celebrities like to do your things. You smile when you feel like crying." He replies gently squeezing my hands in his.

  "Hahahahahahah! We've been told to show no negative emotion ever. Even when we are alone cause it leaves wrinkles lines on the face." I inform him playfully.

  "You look real good Mystique! Its like every time I see you your beauty shines more. You get more lovely the older you grow. Welcome to the Grand hotel! Your comfort is our first priority and anything you want just request, the staffs are here to carter to your every whim." He informs me.  "Save the spiel for a paying customer Roberts, we both know I don't need to be convinced to stay. Especially considering the fact that its free." I say to him firmly locking my car door and walking to the boot to extract my bags still smiling.

  "You drive a 140million naira range rover evogue and still talk like a pauper. Your presence here is exactly what I need. The Grand is going under,the customers are no longer trooping in like we expected and these new generational hotels are offering cheeper prices and attracting all the customers. I need you here. Your influence will boost our name and the Grand brand." He says looking at me like I hung the sun. 

"Calm down a little before you give me a complex. Like I promised on the phone I'm going to do what I can. I don't have a magic wand and I definitely don't have super powers. If the structure and services are up to par like you said then we are going to do a lot of well placed adverts to attract customers and lodgers." I answer him trying to shake the weight off my shoulders. Nothing makes you feel heavier like the confidence that is heaped on you. What if I fail and things don't improve.

  I extract my bag and immediately there is a bell boy waiting to toll it to my room for me. That was fast and I hope its not because of who I am or what I represent.

  I smile at the bell boy and thank him watching him walk with my heavy suitcases to the large foyer lobby like it weighed nothing.

  "Now that's one strong bellboy. That suitcase was heavy as a ton of bricks and he just made it look like an bag of feathers." I comment.

  "He works out and he takes his job seriously. Here at the Grand all the staffs have been here and we've successfully imbibed the culture of doing whatever you do well. Every job description is important and so everyone has learnt to be active in their duties." He replies.

"That's good. If the service is this efficient then we shouldn't have a problem with attracting customers." I say sashaying ahead of him to make sure my luggages were well handled.

  "Welcome to the Grand hotel miss Mystique" says the door man with a smile.

   "Thank you!" I reply walking majestically   I see the wonder and approval in the faces of the staffs that are lined up to welcome their perceived saviour. It then dawns on me that their livelihood and future employment depends greatly on how successful this scheme could be. Seeing as they've already assembled for my welcome I decide to give a little speech to cheer them up.

  "Its good being here. I'm already catching positive vibes. The welcome has been totally pleasant and I love the zeal of the staffs so far. With each and everyone doing their jobs to the maximum we should have this place crawling with lodgers and travellers in no time." I inform them with a smiling face filled with utmost sincerity and receive a resounding bout of claps in response.

   "You've been placed in one of the presidential suites ma." Says the receptionist handing me the key card to my room.

   "How many presidential suites are there .

   "Four ma." She responds.

   "Leave one open and hoard the other two. When we swing into action the small fishes would be drawn first and it would be bad for business if all the executive rooms are taken by the time the big fishes come by." I enlighten her making her nod and smile.

  "So Roberts what plans are there? We have to hit the ground running before Friday so that we will pull a lot of crowd to the club by then."

  "After your rest I will take you on a tour of the grounds and each room so you can help come of with ideas for the advert placements." He says.

  "So how many rooms are currently being occupied?" I ask.

  "Just twelve out of 200 rooms." He replies.

  "That's real poor!" I exclaim. "So I take it the few guest gets to enjoy the luxury of the hotel at the maximum? The generator is always on and other amenities are in full working conditions?"

   "Yes we have to keep up with the standards." He replies.

  "How do you afford the bills then?" I ask him curious.

  "We have had to cut down the quality of some services in the club house." He replies looking away from me with guilt.

  "What services would that be?" I press on needing to know.

  "I had to have the drinks watered down. After all drunk patrons don't know the different and we have also allowed underage drinking as they are the ones with the money to afford the drinks." He tells me.

  "And the police have not yet stomped the place?" I ask surprised.

  "I give them a little something once in a while to turn a blind eye." He informs me.

  "And you don't feel that those might have contributed to the deficiency of customers you are having now. Word travels fast you know and the police aren't really your friend. They will continue to turn a blind eye and keep increasing the price of the bribe until you can no longer afford it and then they would swoop in and do a total raid of the place, sending the name of your hotel and its reputation to the mud like you can never imagine." I tell him chastisizing him. He should know how serious this could get in just a minute.

"I know these things. Its just that I've been real desperate. The PR team I've hired are all insisting that I invest a whole load of money in order to get this place moving and I don't have the kind of money they are asking for." He informs me sounding dejected and looking really defeated.

  "The solution to the problem is not money. You need a very strong reason to get people here. Let's take a tour of the rooms so I know what we are dealing with." I inform him, handing my keycard to the bell boy and requesting he drops my bag at my room.