Chapter Ten

A hot breath wavered on the back of my neck and all air seemed to flee from my lungs and trap itself within my throat not being able to win the battle against the barricade that stood there. Closing my eyes out of fear, I slowly turned around praying that my hands would not shake but as I opened my eyes I came face to face with a snarling red eyed beast.

"Oh god."

It's breath revolted all senses bringing an unfamiliar nausea as it swiped out its claws and I dropped myself to the ground, but my arm was not lucky enough to escape as its claw scratched the surface. Thankfully it wasn't deep but it was probably going to get infected. Grabbing onto my keys I yanked them out of my pocket throwing them into the beasts eyes and some sick, twisted part of me felt some satisfaction upon hearing it's roar of pain and I used the opportunity to to kick my leg out to push it back. It made very little impact.

The beast leapt forward swinging its claws out again and I brought my leg up for a second time kicking it away although once more its claws managed to nick my skin again, but if I could handle Derek's messed up injuries I could handle a few grazes. Maybe this was all sick dream, a consequence of the tablets.

The beast roared with a new fury jumped forward and I slipped to the ground my heart beat echoing in my mind. I don't think it had ever beaten so fast. I tried to crawl away, but its claws reached out digging into the skin on my thigh. A scream broke from my lips as I was trapped.

There was no hope, I was going to die.

Squinting my eyes shut, I could feel the tears streaming down my face although at this point I was sure it could have been blood. I wouldn't know at all. "No, please don't, please," I found myself begging. Then there was nothing. No pain. Only the sound of sniffing, despite my better judgement I peaked one eye open to see him sniffing around and I wasn't sure whether it was comforting or not. It then seemed to glance up and it met my eyes. If I was crazy I would say that it was smirking, I don't think I'm crazy and still I think it was smirking. Then it ran away.

Not wasting any time, I pushed myself to my feet not allowing myself to give any breath of relief until I was out of there and safe. Were Stiles and Scott in there? Were they okay? Why did I have to come here? Surely there would have been a reason. Bile and spit formed at the back of my throat not wanting to travel any further as the fear remained in my body. I was getting out of there. I had to.

The cuts on my arms and legs were beginning to burn more harshly than before and I could only hope I wouldn't get some horrible infection that would lead to an expensive hospital visit, Noah didn't need that. Although, Noah needed us to be alive more as well. Should I be phoning him? No, not with the beast. Stumbling forward, I brought my hand up to my ear fiddling with the pearl on the earring as I tried to figure out which direction I was supposed to be going to.

It felt like I'd forgotten everything about the school and I didn't know how to get out. Turning back to the door, I forced it open and ended up stumbling down the stairs. A scream was caught in my throat with my mind not bringing up enough energy to actually being able to release it.

Grabbing onto my phone, I dialled in Scott's number before pressing it to my ear. It went straight to voicemail. Why wasn't he picking up? I knew he was with Stiles. "Scott?" I asked, "could you just... are you okay? What's happening? Why... why are you at the school? Is Stiles there, of course Stiles is there never mind that question. What was that thing..." I was cut off by my own scream as a hand grabbed onto my ankle. Dropping my phone, I kicked at the hand and as they let me go I stumbled backwards to put distance between myself and those in front of her.

It was Derek Hale.

It wasn't just Derek though, it was a beaten and bloodied Derek who was lying on the ground with his hand clutched at his chest as if he was trying to nurse at the wounds. The same wound that I had felt. My hand flew to my mouth at the sight of him, "oh god," I cried out and he pushed himself to his knees trying to get up.