Chapter Thirty-One

"Congratulations, miss Brookes," the man said as he passed over the $200. I'd won. I'd actually won and achieved something. Getting an A+ on any exam was nothing in comparison the the joy I felt now. Turning away from the man I contemplated what to do next. Should I go to the loft or back to the Stilinski household? On the one hand the loft was absolutely freezing, on the other hand Derek pretty much had no life so it was a guarantee that he'd actually be there. Noah might not be home and Stiles definitely wouldn't be.

Grabbing onto my phone, I pressed the contact quickly almost slamming it against my ear. There were barely three rings before the person picked up, "I won!" I cheered not giving them the time to say hello, "I actually won!"

"That's great, kiddo," Noah said from down the line, "the $200?"

"Hey, forget the money. This is the part where you tell me that you're proud of me," I pointed out and I could hear his chuckle from down the phone.

"You know I'm proud of you," he said, but his next words enslaved my smile, "and you're parents would be to. God I wish Lou and Alastair could have seen you now," I knew what he meant by it, but it was still heartbreaking to hear. They'd never know. They should have been here, but instead they were dead.

"I know they would be," I assured, but would they? My dad had won numerous tournaments by the time he was my age. My mom was the strongest person I knew as well.

I practically skipped up the steps to the loft, although when I opened the door my happiness wavered. Isaac was pacing back and forth looking terrified whilst Derek was sat in a chair at the table reading a book.

"What's going on?"

Isaac was the first to speak, "I'm starting not to like this idea. Sounds kinda dangerous..." he trailed off, Derek glanced at him without moving his head. What plan? "You know what? I definitely don't like this idea, and I definitely don't like him..."

"You'll be fine," Derek assured with a sigh as I walked over myself. I still didn't know what was going on.

"Does it have to be him?"

"He knows how to do it-- I don't. It'd be more dangerous if I tried doing it myself."

"What are you doing?" I was ignored of course.

"You know Scott doesn't trust him, right? You know, personally, I'd...Well, I'd trust Scott."

"I don't trust Scott," I admitted and the pair turned to me confused, "all he thinks about is Allison so sometimes you have to be careful..."

It was silent for a few minutes before Derek glanced back up at Isaac, "Do you trust me?"

He was hesitant for a few seconds before he nodded, "yeah... I still don't like him."

"Nobody likes him." Nobody likes who?

The door then slammed open and in walked Peter. It was definitely about him. "Boys... girl....FYI? Yes, coming back from the dead has left my abilities slightly impaired... but, the hearing still works. So, I hope you're comfortable saying whatever it is that you're feeling straight to my face."

"We don't like you." Derek said slamming his book shut as he threw it onto the desk. He then stood up himself, "Now shut up and help us." I quickly looked down to hide my smile. I'll admit at first I hated Peter, but the more I got to know him and the more I understood his actions... I quite liked him. I would never trust him with anything, but he was okay.

"Fair enough."

"What are you actually trying to do which requires him?" I asked gesturing behind me with my thumb to Peter. After realising he was just a narcissistic old man I couldn't be scared of him. That was all he was now.