Chapter Fifty-Four

Pressing my lips to his, we rolled around in the bed each one trying to gain more dominance than the other. Although so far this battle had lasted for what felt like forever. He changed his attack with his lips moving away from my own and heading towards the neck. At some point, it felt like the universe had aligned and everything was perfect and then something happened.

Grabbing onto his face, I guided it away stopping him and he breathed out in confusion although we were both feeling it. "Did you just...bite me?" I asked, trying to catch my breath as I looked at him and he rolled his eyes.

"No, I marked you. There is a difference."

"No...I'm pretty sure you bit me," I pointed out biting back a smile at how strange the werewolf world seemed to be, but was already distracted by the new onslaught of attacks.

Have you ever been in a state where you're more than aware that you're awake, but you can't bring yourself to really snap your mind into focus? So you're awake, but you're also not. Like an in-between state. That was where I was now, the morning after. I could tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing - I was lying on top of Derek using his chest as a pillow, he had his arms around me as if holding me in place. He was so warm. His gaze was, on the top of my head, scrutinising every movement and yet I couldn't bring myself to wake up and look at him. Maybe it was how intense his stare was and always had been, but then the effects of that had long gone.

I can't remember the last time it was so peaceful.

But the state of being in-between both sleep and awake got old real fast. The time dragged so slowly until peace becomes pain and I didn't want that to happen. Forcing my eyes open, I shifted my head to get rid of the strange ache that formed from being in the same place for so long.

"Afternoon," a voice mused and a soft groan fell from my lips as I shifted to look up to see Derek. He had an amused smirk on his face.

"Why? What ti-" I was cut off by a yawn, "time is it?"

"11:24"

"When did you wake up?"

"8"

He was so weird. "What have you been doing for all that time?"

A smirk formed on his lips as he reached out his hand landing on my head, "I was watching you," he admitted.

"That's creepy."

"I prefer romantic."

"Two minutes is romantic. Three hours is creepy," I countered. Everything was so quiet. The only noise was coming from us and it was a strange thing.

He scoffed a chuckle forming from his lips, "you'd complain just as much if I woke you up," he pointed out. I suppose that was true in some way. Regardless, my point still stood and nothing was going to change that. Sighing, I pushed myself up only to get attacked by some horrible chill and I quickly collapsed back onto the bed grabbing the duvet and pulling it closer around myself.

"Why do you always live in cold buildings?" It then did the events of last night flood through my mind and I looked back to him confused, "why did you bite me?"

"I marked you," he corrected.

"Well, what does being marked mean?" I asked crossing my arms on his chest and using them to rest my chin on them so that I could look at him.

"It means everyone will now know you're mine."

I raised my brow at the remark, "are we going to have to have a conversation about feminism and equality and lack of belonging-"