Chapter Forty

Brushing my hand over my head, I tried to ignore the burning sensation that threatened my eyes. I could feel the tears forming and I had to get rid of it. I needed to stay strong but it was so difficult. I hadn't recovered, but I was getting there. There was nothing but dull aches residing now. My concern was Derek. He was going to be so reckless again. There was going to be a point when all of our luck would run out and someone was going to end up dead. People were already dead, the question was who was going to be next.

Derek's phone then dinged and we all turned to look at him. None of us had said anything. It had just been a tense silence as we waited for the next part of the suicide plan. I didn't understand why he would be so stupid.

I just wanted to go home. I'd made up my mind. The moment I could, and the moment this was over I was going to Scotland. Whether it be to stay there or just for a break. I needed a break. When I'd told Derek that I was done, I wasn't just talking about the relationship. I was talking about the death, the fighting, the running, the stress, the almost dying. I was completely and utterly and absolutely done.

Derek was no longer an alpha either.

To save me he'd sacrificed his power. That made it so much harder.

"Eithan is coming around. He's going to help," Derek said, and we all looked to him confused. Why would one of the alpha twins want to help?

"Is it the gay one?" I couldn't help but ask, "I can't remember his name. But he's the nice one. I mean...I want them both dead, but he can die first so he doesn't have any pain."

The sound of the door opening echoed throughout the loft, and Ethan soon walked in. It was bold of them to send him in on his own. He could die right now and there was a likelihood that only Lydia would feel any remorse for the action. He looked around at us warily - so he should. All of us had careful glares on our faces and I hadn't even realised that Derek had stood in front of me. When did he move?

"I'm not here to hurt anyone," he assured, but coming from a psychotic teenager it wasn't re-assuring at all, "we know about the lunar eclipse, so don't think Kali's gonna sit around waiting for it to level the playing field. She's coming, and my brother's coming with her."

"Good enough for me. Derek?" Peter asked, turning to look at the former alpha and he scoffed turning to look at him.

"You want me to run?"

"No, I want you to stay and get slaughtered by an Alpha with a psychotic foot fetish. Of course I want you to run, sprint, gallop, leap your way the hell out of this town!" Peter snapped, and I nodded in agreement. That was a sign that things had gotten back between us; I was agreeing with Peter more than I was with Derek.

"He's right. You can't win against them. You have to leave."

Derek clenched is hands together before he looked over to Cora who sighed, "If you want to fight and die for something, that's fine with me. But do it for something meaningful."

"How do you know I'm gonna lose?"

"We don't," Peter began, before he turned to look at Lydia, "but, I'll bet she has an idea. Don't you, Lydia?"

"I don't know anything," she countered, but it was clear to us all that she was hiding something. What was she hiding?

"But you feel something, don't you?"

"What do you feel?" Derek asked, and Lydia sighed as she shifted her weight from foot to foot.

"I feel like...I'm standing in a graveyard."