Chapter Fifty-Nine

My eyes were burning. In an effort to improve my intellectual skills and my chess skills I'd spent the night reading and now I was regretting everything. Do you know that feeling when you wake up from a nap that was too long to be a nap but not long enough to be a full nights sleep and everything feels clammy and cold and groggy? That was how I was feeling right now: clammy, cold, and groggy.

It was why I was using Derek's back as a headrest as of this moment. He was stood a lacrosse stick in hand waiting for Liam to make an appearance. I couldn't hear any approaching footsteps and so, as of yet, we were completely fine and safe. "Why are we doing this again?" I murmured through the leather of his jacket and I could feel his weight shift until my head fell against his arm.

"Because I'm the most qualified to check up on a beta," he said, his ego seeping through his bones. Lifting my head so that I could see his face I narrowed my eyes.

"I really don't think you are," I mused and he rolled his eyes as he glanced down.

"Are you saying I'm irresponsible?" He asked and I offered a small shrug in order to tease him, "I'm not the one who was awake all night reading."

"I was improving my intellectual skills," I countered and he hummed his brow-raising out of amusement. Hearing the sound of footsteps, I pulled back just enough to see who it was who was approaching.

A blonde boy stepped out looking in all of the lockers his brows furrowed and his irritation mixed with confusion evident to both of us. "What the hell? Where's my stick?" He asked looking around and Derek stepped up holding out the lacrosse stick for the boy to see.

"Is this yours?" Who we assumed was Liam (due to the strong supernatural sense that was coming from him) turned around his eyes watching Derek warily. He barely even acknowledged me. Derek held up the stick before snapping it in half. Liam's eyes turned gold and anger radiated from him followed by a roar. He made a step forward but Derek slammed him against the lockers holding him up against it. He released another growl but Scott's voice rang out next.

"Liam..." his voice was like a warning and a command in both. Liam looked over to Scott before calming down and Derek took a step back allowing Liam to stand on his own and not against the locker.

"You're right...he is angry," Derek mused.

"Well you did just destroy something he thinks belongs to him," I added on, "I'd be pissed as well..." Derek turned to look at me with his usual eyes of droning.

"This one's yours," Scott added on tossing a lacrosse stick over to Liam and he glanced over at it to make sure that it was good before putting it into his locker. The school bell began to screech around the room and Scott nodded over to Liam again, "get to class, Liam."Liam glared at Derek one last time before he left. Derek turned to look at Scott with a proud smirk on his face and Scott looked over to him confused. I would be just as confused if I couldn't feel his emotions; he was so exultant. "What are you smiling about?"

"You're gonna be good at this."

"Are you kidding? I am totally unprepared! Remember how you said you could teach me a few things? I think right now, I could use a full-on training manual..." Scott trailed off and Derek nodded although the smile was still large on his face.

"I'll tell you one thing-- that anger he's got? It'll make him strong."

"And dangerous..."

"Very."

Seeing the excitement which seemed to be glowing from Derek, I raised my eyebrow confused. Was he pleased of the fact that Liam was going to be dangerous?