Chapter Thirteen

Dunking another oreo into the milk, I held it for a few seconds before taking it out and biting only the part which had been in the milk off. My mind was racing with the news and all the possibilities. Derek was now working with Peter. There had been no more pain and so it didn't feel too bad, but it was also concerning that he would partner up with the man who'd killed his aunt.

Stiles soon came into the kitchen and he pulled out the bottle of milk beginning to drink from it and not even bothering to pour it out in a glass. Oh you disgusting child. Glancing down at the milk in front of me, a grimace found my lips and I dropped the cookie to the side onto the plate. I was no longer hungry.

"Whatcha doing?" Stiles asked as he looked into the direction of the office where Noah was sat trying to do his work.

"Work."

"Anything I can help with?"

"You know, if you poured me an ounce of whiskey, that would be awfully nice," Noah admitted and Stiles did as told. I only watched them not wanting to get in their way.

"Any leads?" Stiles asked and I could hear the sound of pain and so I could only assume that Stiles had tried to snatch the work from the desk only for Noah to bat it away.

"You know I can't discuss that with you," he reminded before glancing at the cup which Stiles was giving him, "not too much."

"Okay. There you go, Dad. Bottoms up."

"You know, Derek Hale would be a whole hale of a lot--" hearing the slurs, I slipped from my seat in the kitchen walking in there to see that Stiles had gotten his dad drunk, huh, I suppose there was a brain in there somewhere. Even if it was mildly evil. "Hale of a lot...?" He asked again as if trying to make sense of his own words.

"Hell of a lot?" I cut in.

"Hell... Yes... He would be a hell of a lot easier to catch if we could get an actual picture of him," Stilinski finished and Stiles narrowed his eyes.

"How do you not have a picture of him?"

"It's the weirdest thing... It's like every time we tried to get a mug shot, it's like two laser-beams were pointing at the camera," Noah explained and I reached over picking up some of the photo's to see that his eyes were completely hidden from the lights.

"Sweet," I muttered.

"Oh, my God... Ohhh! God, that ounce hit me like a brick. And I have said way too much, and if you repeat any of that--"

"Dad, it's us! We're not gonna say anything. Come on!" Stiles urged and Noah nodded already beginning to speak again.

"See, the thing is, they're all connected... I mean, the bus driver that got killed? He was an insurance investigator assigned to the Hale House Fire." Was Peter perhaps getting revenge? Was that why Derek joined him in the end.

"Terminated under suspicion of fraud." Stiles read out and I glanced over at the documents to read them himself.

"Exactly."

"Who else?" I asked, "who else is attached to the Hale fire."

"The video store clerk who got his throat slashed? He's a convicted felon-- history of arson," he explained and Stiles nodded slowly.

"What about the other two guys, the guys who got killed in the woods?"

"Priors all over their records, including--"

"Arson." Stiles muttered, "so, maybe they all had something to do with the fire..." Stiles then realised that Noah was beginning to shut down, but we both wanted answers now, "another shot?" He offered.