Chapter Forty-One

"You know I was thinking," Derek's low mutter sounded from beside me. I was almost asleep. He had to always say or do something right as I was about to fall asleep. We'd been lying in silence for around an hour now trying to go to sleep and he had been tracing circles on my arm with his finger tip. Of course I'd taken to using him as a walking heater again.

"Does this thinking always happen when I'm tryna sleep," the words slurred from my mouth, and hearing his sigh I forced my self to roll around so that I was facing him, "what?" I asked, bringing my hand up to wipe the tiredness away from my eyes. He smiled slightly as he shifted his weight to get more comfortable but in doing so he fell further away from me, "wha- no, no, no, it's too cold. Come back," I urged grabbing onto his sleeve lazily and he did as ordered to do.

"I was thinking," he repeated, "whilst we're still young now...what do you think about a potential future family...of course way into the future?" He asked, and they were words which forced me to wake up more and I lifted my head so I could see him better.

"You want a family?"

"Yes."

"You want a family?" I repeated, trying to understand his words.

"Yes, I want a family," he said.

"With me?"

"With you."

"Me."

"Yes, I want a family with you," he finally said, pushing himself up enough so that he could meet my level, "does that surprise you so much?"

"I just...I don't know...I guess I never considered the possibility of anyone wanting a family with me. Especially not you... well...especially not a werewolf," I admitted, sitting up further, "oh god, too cold," I countered quickly grabbing onto the duvet and pulling it closer and I could hear a faint chuckle coming from his lips. "But I suppose... a future family doesn't sound too bad. Especially not with you," I drawled lying back down and using his chest as a pillow. It wasn't actually that comfortable since he was as hard as a rock.

"So that's a yes?" He asked, and I gave a small nod.

"Mhm. Tell me about this future family then. What do you want?"

"Well...I was thinking three kids... I wanted to name them after my... after my family," it was like he was testing the words in his own mouth and I nodded again to show that I understood, "although I suppose that would depend on what gender kids we have," he admitted.

"It would depend on that," I agreed. "Can we get a dog? I've always wanted a dog called Steve."

I could feel his brows furrow at the words, "why Steve?"

"I dunno...it just feels right."

Waking up in a strangers bed was weird. Waking up with a stranger lying beside you was weird. It was even weirder when they were naked. The problem was I couldn't blame it on alcohol because I didn't get effected by the drink. Pushing myself up as slowly as I could, I tried to be as quiet as possible as the girl lying next to me rolled over. She was quite possibly the most attractive girl I'd ever met and had I not met her and jumped in for a one night stand then I probably wouldn't be in the situation where I'd have to avoid them for the rest of my life. At least there was an absolutely zero chance of there being an accidental pregnancy.

I'd been in Scotland for two months. Two months and still the answer had not come to me. The answer I'd so desperately tried to figure out. The answer to everything I needed to know. Was it worth it? Instead, I'd been plagued by memories, worries, concerns, all of it about Beacon Hills and Derek. I blamed Derek. It was the bond. I'd even done what I vowed never to do and now it was rare you wouldn't catch me in a leather jacket - what had become of me?