Chapter Fifty-Six

We were all sat around the table. Rafael and Derek had food in front of them and Stiles had taken a few prawn crackers but I was just sat there. I couldn't eat. It was getting harder to speak as well. Like in order for me to speak we'd have to find a whole new alphabet and begin a whole new language. So I settled for watching them all.

"So, uh, Miguel... What did you say your last name was again?" Rafael asked, and just like before Derek opened his mouth to say something when Stiles cut in.

"Oh, it's Juarez... Cinqua... Tiago..." I wanted to laugh, but I couldn't. Bringing a hand over my mouth, I looked over him mortified by the words he was saying. In what world was that a good last name when you're trying to divert suspicion. From the look on kid-Derek's face, I could tell he was thinking the same thing as me.

"That's a mouthful. How do you spell that?"

Stiles narrowed his eyes as he realised he didn't know either, "phonetically."

This was a complete failure.

"Mr McCall, you're an FBI agent?" Both me and Stiles looked over to him startled. Why was kid-Derek such a bratty smartass? Why couldn't he be like grumpy older Derek?

"He's low-level. Very low-level. He doesn't even have a voice..." Stiles trailed off, but Derek wasn't buying it. I wasn't buying it though so he definitely wasn't going to.

"So, do you investigate murders?"

"Sometimes, when it's a federal crime."

"What about fires?" Derek asked, and both Stiles and I looked between them horrified at what was going to be said. We were so screwed.

"Oh, my God... I wonder where Scott is. Shouldn't Scott be here by now? We should call Scott..."

Grabbing onto the back of my head I tried to sink into the chair and maybe disappear from sight but it was obvious that wasn't going to work.

"What kind of fires are you talking about?" He asked, and Derek narrowed his eyes as he leant forward.

"Do you know anything about the Hale family?"

Rafael told him everything. Mini-Derek now knew that his parents were dead, his siblings were dead, everyone within his family was dead and it was so clear that he didn't know what to do. He was just staring off into space pretending to want to finish the meal. I understood that. I didn't know how to react when I found out my parents were dead.

The moment he could escape he went upstairs and both me and Stiles quickly followed after him. Rafael was sulking because Scott hadn't shown up and if I didn't know Scott was dealing with bigger issues then I'd be mad at him too. He looked so defeated and done and yet it was obvious that he just wanted his son back and for his son to be happy.

"Okay, I didn't lie. I omitted certain truths. Vital truths, now that I think about it," Stiles admitted holding out his hands to prevent Derek from doing anything rash.

"I for one had no part in this and did not lie..." I quickly interrupted and Stiles whipped his head around to glare at me. "Fine, I will admit to not correcting the lie, but I didn't actually lie... and you never told me you were going to lie either."

"I don't want to talk to you two. I want to talk to the Alpha. I'll talk to Scott," Mini-Derek said.

"But he is the one who lied," I pointed out, and Stiles's hand found my arm in a harsh bat.

"Oh my god, shut up," he cried out and I rolled my eyes as he turned back to look at Derek, "okay, I'm going to go get Scott. My phone's downstairs. Going to call him real quick. You stay here. Just, don't move, okay? Don't move." Stiles urged stepping out in the hallway, "Don't..." he then sprung back but neither I nor Derek even had the time to move so we both found ourselves looking at him as if he was an idiot, "I thought you-"