Chapter Sixty-Two

The sound of a bag slamming down on the table made my body jump awake. Springing up so that I was sat upright, I looked around trying to find the source of the noise. Braeden had slammed a bag down onto the table in front of the window. Of course, it was her. Pressing my lips together I allowed the foggy sleep which was still overtaking me to drag me back down to the pillow. That didn't mean that I didn't stop listening into their conversation though, I just remained asleep.

"What are you doing...?" Derek asked.

"Protecting my investment." That was the same statement Derek had used in the hospital. It sounded oddly sentimental and I felt guilty to say I was searching for any romantic attraction that could possibly come from Derek.

"Why aren't you healing?"

"Some wounds take longer..." He was lying and sounding like an idiot but I didn't want to tell him yet. Instead, I grabbed onto the duvet and pulled it over my body to trap in the warmth. It smelt so much like Derek and it was a nice feeling. A cosy and protective one that made everything feel safe even when you were in the worst situations.

"And some leave scars-- but not for people like you. So, what's going on?" His power was fleeting.

"Maybe I'm just tired..."

"Derek, show me your eyes."

"You just saw them."

"Show me your real eyes," he couldn't. There were no powers left in him, "okay...now, why don't you tell me what's really going on?"

Braeden went to grab onto some medical supplies as I climbed out of the bed. Slipping into a pair of slippers to prevent my feet from getting cold on the concrete floor. Walking forward, I jumped onto the sofa collapsing back to watch what I knew was going to be an entertaining display. I pulled out the chessboard setting it up for myself - a disguise to the fact I was actually just going to be watching the pair.

Braeden patched the wound Derek had for him sorting out the problem. "It's just a graze... But make sure it doesn't get infected," she said and an amused smile formed on her face as she looked up to him, "That's probably something you've never had to worry about before, is it? So, it's everything, then? No glowing eyes, no healing?"

"No hearing, speed...everything," Derek confirmed and I could feel the disappointment and fear welling up from with inside him.

"Strength?" Braeden asked.

"I can still win a fight!" Derek scoffed.

"No you can't," I called out, as I moved another piece. I could feel Derek's glare on me and I looked up to him offering a smile.

Braeden smirked out of amusement as she picked up a gun. The safety was on so there was no problem with it accidentally shooting one of them and she held it out to him. He took it holding it up as if he was about to shoot her. "You ready?" She asked he hummed his usual smug smirk on his face. "One...two..." she didn't let it get to three as she reached out flipping the gun and twisting his arm int he process.

"You cheated! That's cheating..." Derek grunted and I looked down at the chessboard to hide my amusement. I never thought I'd see Derek in the weaker position especially to a human. Of course, I understood the severity of the situation and the fact that the better fighter of the both of us now couldn't fight. It was a daunting prospect.

"I won. When you're a human facing off against the supernatural, you need to bend the rules a little bit. I'm gonna teach you how to bend."