Chapter Twenty-One

"Did you enjoy that, sweetie?" A familiar American voice called out, it was my mother. The rain was thrashing down on the car making it difficult to see. She had a bright smile on her face as she turned her head to look into the back seat of the car. We'd just been to watch our dads chess tournament. He always seemed so confident, he didn't even need to look at the board to make his move knowing every single strategy and movement there was in his existence. "You know, your uncle Noah loved chess as a kid. He was never any good at it," she joked.

A smile formed on my lips at the mention of the family. "You know, I think if you try hard enough you could be just like us. Harry even said he enjoyed playing against you as a little mini round," after the victory's one of the players had let me play against them. I lost of course, "he thinks you're going to be just as great as all of us," my father called out and he had a thick Scottish accent, like mine. The pair had met on a student exchange program during their university or college years. I couldn't tell you what happened next, but the car swerved out of control and all you could hear was the sound of glass shattering and screaming.

"Close your eyes!" A voice screamed out. It was all blended together as a mess of chaos waiting to destroy every glimmer of hope.

Forcing my open, an annoying beep echoed throughout my senses and everything was blinding. It had changed from completely black to completely white.

"Grace?" A familiar voice called out, "Grace, are you awake?" As it slowly settled into a duller light I glanced to the side to see both Stiles and Noah stood at the side. Panic was laced on their faces and I couldn't help but frown. What had happened? Looking down at myself my eyes settled on the familiar blue and white hospital gown.

"Hey there, kiddo," Noah said as Stiles shoulders slugged out of what I hoped was relief. "How are you feelin'?"

"I..." I began but my own voice hurt. "What happened? Why are we here?" Stiles glanced up at his dad for a second before he turned back to look at me.

"You completely passed out. None of us knew what to do," he said. It was then did all the memories of whenever I was last awake hit me. "They're still running tests to work out what's wrong."

"H-how long have... how long have I been here for?"

"Well about 18 hours." That was a long time.

"They said when you wake up they're going to keep you in over night if you don't show any signs of anything else happening then they're going to keep you in until the tests come back," Noah explained and I nodded slowly, "I'll go get the nurse," he added on and as he left I turned my head to look at Stiles.

"What happened?"

"Jacksons the kanima."

"What?"

"Jackson is the kanima. Derek tried to kill him - well actually he tried to kill Lydia but that didn't work - we have him locked up in one of the police transport vans in the woods."

"What?"

He only offered a shrug not knowing what else to say.

The nurse had told me nothing of importance other than doing a normal check up. So far there was no sign of what was wrong with me and their immediate assumption was stress. Both Noah and Stiles left. Stiles because he had to go and deal with Jackson and Noah had to go back to work.

Was it stress? I didn't feel stressed I just felt completely angry.

Rolling over in bed, I tried to pull the blanket over my shoulders to gather more warmth but it wouldn't matter. I wasn't going to get any sleep tonight in this bed. It wasn't the comfiest. I just wanted to go home and be wrapped up in my own bed. No, I wanted to be wrapped up in Derek's bed stealing the duvet from him because werewolves were naturally warmer so they didn't technically need them. Despite all the anger and hatred I'd harboured over the past week or two that felt like the safest place.