Chapter Sixty-Nine

Dragging the edge of the jacket over my nose, I tried to think of what could be the source of this nauseating pain. It was like I needed to throw up but It was stuck in my stomach. Just sat there for all eternity. At this point, I'm convinced I would have been much better if I could actually throw up.

"I thought you said werewolves don't get sick," I pointed out to Derek who had his eyes focused on the road. He glanced over to me before looking back to the road, not that it would matter. It was a long straight road and there were no other cars. I'd also been in the car with him enough times to know that he was an excellent driver.

"Well, they don't..." he trailed off.

Dropping the edge of my jacket, I looked over to him annoyed, "are you telling me I'm dying....I have already died enough to laugh me a lifetime and I do not want to be dying again."

"You're not dying you're probably just..." he trailed off as he fell silent his brows furrowing. "Oh. Oh," he trailed off his eyes widening.

"What?" I asked trying to figure out what he was thinking. I couldn't work out which sense he was using. When he didn't respond, I straightened myself out so I could see him better, "what is it?"

"Nothing, I'll tell you later," he dismissed.

"Tell me what later."

"Oh look we're here now," he cut in and I turned my attention to see the sign to gesture to where we were.

"Tell me what later?" I repeated, but just like before he didn't respond. "Derek..." Still nothing.

I was left to try and figure it out myself as we walked towards the Hale vault. Night had fallen a long time ago and if it were not for the knowledge that we stood a better ground if we were to fight then I'd probably be terrified. There was a multitude of sheds and small buildings made from scraps of corrugated metal and wood. We'd passed a dumpster which had a large sticker on it saying "KEEP NORTH CAROLINA BEAUTIFUL" although with today's society I'm sure that sticker will do absolutely nothing except encourage people to throw trash everywhere.

As we turned a corner, he reached out grabbing onto my hand pulling me into a hidden part between two buildings. I frowned at him trying to work out what he was doing but he gestured to his ear. Listening out for what he was hearing, two foreign heartbeats, I turned to look at him as he waited for the perfect moment.

Someone rounded the corner and Derek immediately stepped out of the shadow lifting the man by the coat and slamming him against the wall. The said man yelped from the shock groaning out in pain as his back hit the wall. We were all shocked and relieved to see that it was Argent.

"Derek," Argent greeted out breathing out as he probably relished in the fact that he wasn't going to die in this moment, "Grace," he added on spotting me. I was always the add on.

"You could've called," Derek countered and Argent pulled a face as he looked at him.

"You don't have a phone!" He reminded.

"He's right," I cut in, "you broke it in Norway, remember," I reminded and Derek looked back to me thinking for a moment to try and remember before he nodded.

"I should probably get one."

With that, he released Argent and stepped backwards. I could still hear two foreign heartbeats though, so who was the second? Looking around, I tried to find the source of the noise but nothing seemed to be showing up other than the heartbeat, and it was so faint as well.

"You okay?" Derek asked and as I looked back to him both him and Argent were looking at me as if they were expecting to have to fight. I don't know why they were relying on my senses when If Derek couldn't sense it then it's likely it didn't exist and it was all in my head. Maybe it's the mysterious illness.