Chapter Forty-Five

The little girl - drowning in a red rain coat and a red rain hat hiding half her face - swung her arms out as if she was flying, singing a song as she stepped on all the boards of the pier. Not paying attention to everything, not even bothered by the danger of the ocean or the curiosity of every person in front of her. In one of her hands a stuffed cow toy's arm sat. It was as if she was holding hands and dancing with the toy and truth be told she was. Other than her soft singing, all that could be heard was the sound of the ocean and the sound of seagulls squawking.

"Careful darling," an American voice called out, a rarity in the small town in Scotland, "not too close to the edge." At the sound of her mother's call, she looked up tilting the hat back so she could see her parents and uncle who were all sat on the bench. Choosing to ignore her words, she turned away from them continued her efforts. Scoffing, Louisa sighed as she looked to her husband and brother-in-law.

"I have just the trick," Dan mused, as he reached into his bag pulling out a pack of five sugar-coated, custard filled donuts from tesco's bakery.

"Oh, no..." Alastair began, but it was too late as Dan was already calling out.

"Lassie," he shouted, and the girl looked up again spotting the brown and yellow packet. A bright smile immediately claimed on her face as she ran a small waddle towards him.

"Dan," Alastair groaned, but Dan already began laughing as he caught his favourite niece lifting her up and sitting her down on her father's knee.

Biting down on the inside of my cheek, I stared out at the steering wheel in front of me but I wasn't really seeing it. It was hard to see something when you were so angry. Stiles had lied to me. He said that they needed me to help and deal with the supernatural world and yet...nothing was even happening. Nothing was even going on which only made me absolutely filled with rage. He was nothing but a liar. It was like a bubble of absolutely everything expanding in you and wanting nothing but to burst.

And then it popped.

Releasing an angered scream, I slammed my hands down onto the wheel not caring about the sound of it cracking. When is it going to be over? Climbing out of the car, I headed towards the house letting myself in. "Stiles, is that you?" Noah's voice called out.

"Grace," I called out, and the sound of a chair scraping against the floor was heard before Noah ran into the hall.

"Gracie?" He asked, a smile falling on his face and I plastered a smile on my own face as he rushed forward wrapping his arms around me for a hug. Except, my smile fell because it was exhausting to smile. A hug. Something that was supposed to be so full of love and joy and happiness...and I felt nothing. Absolutely nothing. "I was worried someone had broken in," he joked and I cracked a smile pulling back.

"Nope, it was just me and my key," I assured, and he nodded as he tried to think of words to say. I probably should have let him know that I was coming, but truth be told I hadn't even thought about it before now.

"Actually, Grace. It's good that you're here. I was going over the file of a criminal whose been brought into Beacon Hills hospital and I thought... there's something that's quite concerning," he admitted, and I raised my brow waiting for him to continue. "He said the reason he killed everyone was because he saw teenagers with glowing eyes..."

"So... werewolves," I said, and he nodding confirming my confirmation of his own thoughts. Okay, so maybe there was some supernatural shit going on. Regardless, it didn't seem important enough that I should have been dragged to Beacon Hills.

His phone then rang out and he held up his hand grabbing the device and pressing it to his ear. "Sheriff Stilinski speaking," he said, and it was a few moments before he turned to me looking mortified. That wasn't good. I would have listened into his conversation, but I hadn't expected it to be anything of importance.