Chapter Forty-Three

Dragging the suitcase through the town, I got a few looks - those who remembered me and didn't expect to see me again. Truth be told I didn't want to see them again. At least it was warm, very warm. That was the only good thing about this. That it was warm and I wasn't frozen for the first time in a long time. That was on the outside anyway, some part of me was still cold. Everything within me was just ice. Not the fun kind that you go skating on but the annoying kind which just feels dead. That makes everything miserable.

Making it back to the Stilinski house, I peered in every room but there was no sign of anyone. No heartbeat. No-one was here. Heading into the spare room which had been my bedroom everything was just how I left it. Like I hadn't left at all. Even the chess board was left in the same place with all the pieces in the place where I left them. An unfinished game. Don't tell me that was a sign.

Stepping closer, I grabbed onto one of the pieces moving it across the board and knocking over one of the knights. Check and mate. Sighing, I looked away from it turning around. Was there anything that had changed? It literally looked like no-one had been in here except for me. Was it out of respect or a lack of care? Who knows.

I bet Dan thinks I was here because of his speech. His lovely speech where he effectively called me useless in so many ways. Maybe I should have ran to Wales instead. This was the hard part, and the next part was just down right cruel and horrible.

Dancing to the beat of the music, I spun around with the bottle of beer in my hand. Way back when the alcohol actually did it's job and nulled all sense of rationality. Spinning my hand out in an invitation I held it out to Derek who was sat on the sofa with an amused smile. We were back in the bus station with no-one else around. And I was in my usual pyjamas of an over-sized t-shirt and shorts (shorts of which I'd forced myself to point out after seeing Derek's suggestive stare) and a large pair of fuzzy socks. One of which had been dragged all the way up my leg and the other of which had scrunched up at my ankle. I didn't care though.

"I'm not dancing," he turned down, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes although the amusement didn't fall from my face.

"Stop being such a sour wolf," I mocked, causing him to roll his own eyes, "now get your wolf ass up," I urged clenching my fingers a couple of times to beckon him to get up.

"Your drunk."

"Yes, so get up," I urged again, "you can either sit there and be miserable all your life or you can get up and have some fun. No-bodies watching," I assured picking up his hand and doing my best to drag him off the sofa. Truth be told he wouldn't have moved unless he wanted to. That's another win in my books.

At first he started dancing like an awkward bear, and I couldn't help the laugh that fell from my lips. "See, you're watching," he pointed out laughing himself. Stepping closer, I put the beer down onto the table grabbing onto his hands.

"I'd have never thought the great Derek Hale to be a bad dancer," I teased, "now close your eyes."

"What? I'm not closing my-"

"Close them," I ordered, and he sighed but did as asked regardless. Sometimes it surprised me how easy he was to boss around in the right situation. Guiding his movements again we began to dance for the third time this time with him looking a lot better than before and the smile broke out on his face as he opened his eyes. He didn't stop dancing, nor did I. It was times like this when you remembered how properly beautiful a person could be.

Staring a the door in front of me, I tried to gain the energy to open it but I couldn't. Flashes of bodies and fights and pain flashed through my mind making it impossible. This was supposed to be a place of happiness and one sad memory that broke my heart but it was supposed to be worth it. It was supposed to be peace and yet it felt like an absolute warzone. Bringing a shaking hand to the door, I took a deep breath trying to force myself to do it but I couldn't.