Chapter Seventeen

Hearing unfamiliar voices, I was dragged out of my sleep a fog forming over my mind as I tried to work out where the source of noise had come from. "Derek!" They called out, their voice filled with desperation and flooded with panic. Pushing myself up so that I was sat upright in the bed, I looked over to the door where they were in hopes of straining my ears enough to hear what was being said.

"What's wrong?"

"My dad... I think he's dead..." The voice called and my heart fell into my stomach as I climbed out of the sheets. I tried to silence the sound of my own feet as I crept closer, but they were werewolves. Of course they were going to hear everything, but it didn't seem to matter as their topic of conversation was far too important.

"What did you do?"

"That's the thing..." the new persons voice said, "it wasn't me."

The voices continued, but they were all blurred together with them being too quiet for me to pick up. Then they left. Walking out into the main room, I tried to find any sign as to who the new voice was, could it have been the boy I'd bumped into last night? Had he been turned into a wolf? Derek wouldn't do something so stupid, would he? No, I don't think he would. At least not without telling me.

Feeling my brows tug into a frown, I turned back to the bedroom grabbing onto my phone. Scrolling through the contacts I quickly found Stiles, but I couldn't bring myself to click on it. Was it a problem? Was it something that we needed to be wary of?

Dropping my phone onto the bed, I wiped my hands over my face to brush my hair out of the way. Maybe I should just tell them in the morning.

Taking a seat in English class, I fiddled with my pen in order to distract my mind from the panic which seemed to be overwhelming everything. It wasn't my panic, I didn't know why there was any panicking happening and I didn't like that it seemed to be consuming me.

Feeling my phone vibrate, I glanced up at the teacher and in their distraction I looked to the message only to see it was from Stiles 'there's another werewolf - It's Isaac'. Was he the boy who was there last night and the night before that? Was Derek building his pack and biting teenagers? I couldn't imagine teenagers being the best candidates for a pack, they were too arrogant and narcissistic to be any good. Although, I suppose Derek had an ego that could easily be mistaken for narcissism.

Shoving my phone back into my pocket, I lent back into my chair clutching on the edge of the table as an anger began to bubble in my stomach fighting against the panic. I couldn't understand why he would bite someone and not even bother to tell me. I wasn't sure what I was bothered about more: the secrecy of it or the fact that he'd actually done it. It was definitely the secrecy.

Tapping the tip of my toe against the ground, I tried to ignore the growing emotions and smother them with concentrating on the class but it was becoming impossible.

The moment the bell rang out, I leapt from my chair grabbing onto my stuff and leaving the room. Scott was running down the hall with his eyes wide with panic, "Scott?" I asked, but he didn't respond, "Scott!" I called out again running after him. Pushing open the door, my eyes settled on the boy from the past few nights being driven away in a police car. "What the hell's happening?"

Before Scott could respond, Derek's car pulled up in front of us and he wound down the window leaning forward so that he could speak to us.

"Get in," Derek demanded and Scott looked at him confused, and I couldn't help but agree with his feelings. This was all ridiculous. Had he really bit someone and then not even bothered to give them time to learn how to control their shift?