Chapter Sixty

We were at the animal clinic. I hadn't had time to talk to Derek about his power being something which was a fleeting mess because we'd immediately been called due to the fact that a young beta from a different pack had been hit by wolfsbane and Deaton and Stiles needed some werewolf help. Derek, Stiles, and I were holding down the beta - Brett - in an effort to keep him still so that Deaton could make the incision. The problem was he was thrashing around everywhere.

"What the hell is happening to this kid?" Stiles asked.

"He's been poisoned by a rare wolfsbane. I need to make an incision, and you need to hold him as still as possible," Deaton urged, but Brett's thrashing was harder to deal with than it seemed.

"Hey Derek, Grace?" Stiles gritted out, "how about a little werewolf strength?"

"Yeah, I'm not the only one here with Werewolf strength..." Derek countered.

"He's like a kid hulk," I added on, it was true this should probably be easier than it was but at the same time with the knowledge that Derek was losing his power, I knew that this was going to be unnecessarily hard.

" If you can't hold him still, the incision might kill him."

"Derek, he's slipping! I don't think I can hold him!" Stiles called out again and this time Peter stepped forward swinging his fist out and he knocked Brett out. The boy fell down onto the floor and we all looked to him both confused and mortified.

"I guess I still have a little Werewolf strength myself," he mused looking to Derek with a knowing smirk. He knew.

"Yeah...maybe more than a little." Derek had his eyes narrowed, and I couldn't help but look between them. They were silently challenging each other to speak up first.

"Hey, Doc? I don't think he's breathing." Stiles called out. Deaton rushed forward and made the incision in Brett's chest and a puff of yellow smoke was released into the air. "Is he okay?" He asked as Brett was left lying there on the floor.

"I think he'll be fine, but probably out for a little while."

"Guys, can you hear that? I think he's saying something..." Stiles added on and I focused my hearing to listen out to it.

"The sun... the moon... the truth... The sun... the moon... the truth..." he muttered in his sleep.

""Three things cannot long be hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." It's Buddhist," Deaton explained and the two Hales looked at each other with a sigh.

"Satomi," Peter muttered.

We were back at the loft. It had been silent since the animal clinic. I didn't know what to say and I could feel that he didn't either. Everything was on hold. As of this moment, I was sat on my side of the bed pulling on a pair of fuzzy socks since for some reason despite the fact it had been over a year there was still no heating. He was leaning against the headboard with his nose pressed into a book. You wouldn't think he read, but the more you thought about it the more it made you wonder if he was one of the smart kids in school.

He would have left Beacon Hills the second I arrived.

The silence couldn't go on any longer. It had been what felt like years. "Were you going to tell me?"

"Hmmm?"

"About you losing your power."

"I didn't think it was important." He didn't... he didn't think it was important?

Whirling around to face him, I raised my brow trying to understand his words. "You losing your power seems pretty important to me," I countered and he sighed closing his book and placing it down on the side. "You lose your power and then what? You're human? What comes next? Surely you don't think that the end is just you losing your power?!"