Chapter Twenty-Seven

Walking through the school, I kept my focus on Derek. I was walking on the other side of him which kept me far away from Peter - whilst I didn't think he was going to kill me I had to be sure. Derek had his permanent scowl on whilst Peter had no emotion. There was some form of smugness on him though.

Everything was chaos though.

Making it to the locker room, we stepped out just as everyone else was leaving. It was only Scott and Isaac stood in front of us although they were both trying to find something within the locker.

"We need to talk," Derek said and the boys whirled around to look at all three of us.

"All of us." Peter added on.

"Holy sh--!" Scott began, but he couldn't finish. I couldn't blame him this wasn't particularly a situation we all wanted to be in. To be honest, none of us really wanted Peter alive. "What the hell is this???" An escape from hell apparently. Despite the terrible joke which I'd said in my own mind a smile formed on my face and I cast my eyes to the floor trying to fight back the laughter.

"You know, I thought the same thing when I saw you talking to Gerard at the Sheriff's station..." Derek began, and all humour left my body. That was news to me. Why hadn't Derek or Scott told me anything? Why was Scott talking to Gerard in the first place?

"Okay, hold on! He-he threatened to kill my mom! And I had to get close to him. What was I supposed to do?" Scott asked his voice was filled with desperation.

"I'm gonna go with Scott on this one. Have you seen his mom? She's gorgeous!" Peter cut in.

"Ew/Shut up!" Me, Derek and Scott all chimed although the men's were more angry than mine was. I just thought it was disgusting. Melissa had acted as another parent to both me and Stiles for as long as he could remember and as I had been there for.

"...who is he?" Isaac finally asked.

"That's Peter, Derek's uncle. A little while back, he tried to kill us all, and then we set him on fire, and Derek slashed his throat."

"Hi."

"I mean actually... he never tried to kill you. He also tried to kill the hunters and a collection of arsonists so... technically... when you think about it your girlfriends worse," I finalised my eyes meeting Scott's and when he began to glare I cleared my throat looking up to the ceiling to avoid his gaze. There had to be something of interest on there. "Or... you know...what you said..."

"I knew there was a reason I didn't kill you," Peter mused a smug smirk on his face and I snapped my head to look at him a frown on my brows. I wouldn't have said it if I knew he was going to say that.

"How is he alive?" Scott grit out.

"Look, the short version is he knows how to stop Jackson... and maybe how to save him."

"Well, that's very helpful... except Jackson's dead," Isaac said and we all looked at him confused. Jackson was dead? Another person was dead. Another person who we were supposed to save and he was dead. What were we really doing here other than messing up and putting people in danger?

"Close your eyes."

"What?" Derek snapped.

"Yeah, Jackson's dead. It just happened on the field."

"Okay, why is no one taking this as good news?" Isaac asked looking between everyone, maybe because a teenage boy had been murdered and it was all our fault.

"Because if Jackson is dead, it didn't just happen-- Gerard wanted it to happen," Peter pointed out.

"But why?"