Present Day | pt-1❗️

November
London, UK

Tears formed a pool at the edge of my eyelids. Something had brought back the memories from the night Taani's mother told me of her wedding. Other flashbacks followed and I did not realize that we had reached her location. I slowed down the car as we neared the place where the support group met. I did not know why she was going there. I saw her in the rear-view mirror as she wiped her tears, tucked her hair behind her ears and sniffed. She placed a ten-pound note next to her on the back seat, opened the door and stepped outside, without looking back at me. She had not even bothered to ask me the fare. I was too bewildered to react. However, I didn't want to end this chance meeting. I disembarked quickly and followed her to the main entrance of the support group centre. I walked through the glass door, scanning the place. A small people of group had gathered in the main hall, sitting on chairs set in a circle. Taani was sitting in one of the chairs, her expression blank.

Why is she here? I thought.

I slowly tiptoed towards the hall when someone tapped on my shoulder.

"Excuse me, sir?" a young lady, perhaps in her early twenties. "Have you registered to attend this session?"

At first, I thought of concocting a story but decided against it since I might lamd in trouble. This was London and I couldn't be afford to be kicked out for fooling around.

"No, I'm not. But I would like to register for it," I told her, nodding.
"I'm sorry sir, but the registrations have closed. You can join another session, next week."

Damn, why? I thought.

"Alright, but can you please tell me what this session is for?" I asked her.
"Today's session is to discuss anxiety and depression and how to fight against it," she told me in a mechanical voice.

I weighed her response and turned around to look at Taani sitting in a circle.

Why was she depressed or anxious? I thought.

Heading back towards the parking lot, I decided to wait for her until she came out.
Leaning against my car, I kept my eyes on the glass door at the entrance. I could have spoken to her when she was in the car but her sadness had stopped me. Soon afterwards, Taani came out, looking at her cellphone. Was she booking a ride through the uber app? Afraid that she might book another car instead of mine, I hurried over to her.

"Need a ride?" I asked, huffing. I was standing only a few inches from her.

She looked at me briefly when she heard my voice and turned to look back at her phone screen. After a few seconds, she looked back at me, squinting her eyes.

"Rey?" she asked; her eyes widened when she recognized me.

I nodded at her, exuberantly as tears pricked my eyes. It had been a long time since I had seen her, let alone from this close. Her eyes were sunk, her cheeks hollow. I could barely see the thin layer of make-up on her face.

"Oh my God..." she gasped. "It's been so long."
"Three years.." I said. My eyes not leaving hers.
"Yes, it's been three years..." she agreed.
"We... uh... actually met two hours ago... in my car back there," I signalled towards my car parked on the sideway as she followed my stare.
"What?" She said, looking confused.
"I drove you here. I drive part-time, mostly on weekends."
"Really? I didn't know you'd take the nickname 'Captain' so seriously!" She said, her eyes showing surprise.

I was glad that there was no tension between us after so long, given our tumultuous parting.

"Well, you can tease me later, but let me tell you that I also happen to own a photography studio, if that makes you feel any better." I told her, grinning.
"That's amazing," she said, her astonishment giving way to a smile.