The Near Encounter❗️

Taani was rummaging through her leather handbag. After she had found what she was looking for— a pair of earphones— she jerked her head up and turned it in my direction. I quickly hid my face behind a book. When I looked around after few seconds, she was not at her spot. She had wandered off. I quickly crossed the road and followed her, as discreetly as possible. I wondered where she lived and if she still lived with her family. Was she still studying or had she completed her education? What if she'd settled down? What if there was someone else in her life? What if she was dating someone? Brushing of these thoughts, I tried to focus on where she was going.

She suddenly stopped in her tracks, pulled out her phone from her pocket and had a short conversation with someone. She then resumed walking, this time in the direction of the music store. I followed her like a crazy, lovesick puppy.

  In the shop, she strolled through the aisles, occasionally picking up an album or two, I followed her stealthily, pretending to look at the music albums stacked in the shelves. I did not want to get caught. I did not want to come across as a stalker. Suddenly, my phone beeped and the sound distracted me. It was a message from Swayam. I switched off my phone and quickly looked up. But Taani was nowhere to be seen. I panicked and ran down the aisle, frantically searching for her. I was almost going to give up when I heard a titter of laughter. I turned around. There she was, standing right behinf me. She had her headphones on and was swaying to the tune. I smiled, relieved to see her again. I was contemplating talking to her when I saw her checking her phone and then walking towards the door. I followed her. A silver sedan was waiting for her on the other side of the road. She crossed the street, walked towards the car and got inside. I looked on, wondering if I would ever see her again.
             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~