TAANI❗️

I was surprised to see Sameer back from his trip so soon. My in-laws were happy to see him but I didn't share their enthusiasm. I had even forgotten for how many days he had gone on the date of his return.

My mind wandered to the last few days and the person who had kept me so busy that I had forgotten about Sameer and our strained relationship. He had opened a whole New World for me that I didn't even know existed. He had again pulled me out of the dark abyss I had fallen into and made me realize that there was still hope. I had found solace and comfort in his company. Our time together wasn't escape from reality, I will conversations much needed a release. He made me realize how important self-worth was.
Our little adventures around the city had brought us closer. With Rey, I was the same old Taani again—the girl who knew how to live life to the fullest.

I stirred my tea, these thoughts bringing a smile to my face everyone had retired for the day and the house was in engulfed in darkness. I looked up as I saw the maid climbing down the stairs. Sameer had sent her. He was waiting for me in the room.

The room was a mess. Boxes of all sizes and knick-knacks what sprawled across the bed. One by one, he showed me what he had got from Chicago. I looked at him and nodded from time to time but my mind was somewhere else. I was thinking about the day is Rey and I had spent together— The splash of water as we paddled across Regent's Canal; The gush of cold wind as we explored the streets of London on our bicycles; The pleasure of watching him swim in the pools of Hempstead Heath park; and the calm silence that rested between us as we sat on the damp grass of the park. All of a sudden, I wanted to go back to these places and relive the moments we had created together.

"So did you like the gifts?" Sameer asked, bringing me back to the present.

"Um, yeah. I did. Thanks," I said.

"I think this black lacy top will look really good on you. Why don't you put it on? I want to see if it fits," he said, handing me the piece of clothing.

I looked at the top and then at him.

"You want me to wear it now?" I asked, raising a brow.

"Yes, now. . . ." He said, leaning forward and caressing my cheeks. His touch did nothing for me. Gone were the days when my heartbeat exhilarated by only looking at his face.

"Sameer," I interrupted him. "I . . . . I'll wear this some other day. I am feeling really tired right now. In fact, you should also rest. It must have been a long day for you," I told him, pushing his hand away.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"Yes, let's call it a night." I turned around and walked towards the bed.

The next day, I waited impatiently for Sameer is to leave for work. Rey had still not texted me The place and time and I looked at my phone every few minutes. Would we continue to meet after today, I wondered. What Rey make a new itinerary or would I have to look for excuses to see him?

I had told Sameer about the plan and to remove any suspicion from his mind had also extended the invitation to him. But he had refused, giving work as the reason. His disinterest in my life did not affect me anymore. Maybe things would have been different if he had a 'normal' relationship. Maybe he would have even objected to my meeting male friends.

Thankfully, my in-laws were also going out for dinner party and wouldn't be back before midnight I was beginning to enjoy this new found freedom.

As evening approached, I decided to get ready. My phone beeped as I stepped out of the shower. I rushed to read the new message, thinking it might be from Rey. It wasn't. I dialed his number. There was no response. I tried again but he didn't answer. Finally, after a few seconds, my phone screen flashed again. It was him.