Favourite Days❤️ (pt 1)

After the first driving session with taani, I realized this was the perfect way to spend more time with her. I requested Harman mama to let me continue with the classes. He did show some reluctance in the beginning, but I was able to convince him. However, I had only ten days to befriend with her. Every afternoon, after my tution class, I picked Taani up from her house. It was supposed to be a thirty-minute class, but I usually stretched it to an hour. Soon, all our classmates got to know that I was teaching Taani how to drive. She had proudly told them after our first session. Her friends dissed the idea in the beginning but later started to accept me. However, they still did not include me in their group. I hardly interacted with Taani in collage. She never spoke to me except for exchanging knowing glances and smiles. Surprisingly, her demeanour was completely different during our driving lessons. She rambled on about various things— her family, friends, vacations, movies and the places she desired to see. I mostly kept quite during these 'conversations' — gentle nods and monosyllables my only contribution. But I was fascinated by her stories; by her facial expression; by her hand gestures. She did ask me about my life— my childhood, my family members— but I usually turned the conversation back to her because I did not like talking about myself. There was nothing extraordinary about my ordinary story.
   'So, tell me about your family. How many people live in your house?' I asked her one day.
   'There's me, my mother, my father and elder brother. That's it. My brother doesn't live with us'
    'Where's he?' I asked, my eyes on the road ahead.
   'Australia. He's settled there.'
   'Oh, nice. You can take a right turn here,' I directed her.
   'Oh, sure.'
  After the class, we would often stop at her favourite coffee shop where she would order a latte for herself. I, on the other hand, never ordered anything.
   'Are you sure you don't want anything? I mean, I can pay for you if you don't have money.' She said one day, her face serious.
    'No, no,' I responded instantly. 'It's not about money. I just don't want it,' I told her, my expression guarded.
   'Alright.' She said with a shrug.
I looked down in embarrassment. I did not want her to think that I did not come from a well-off family, but I kept quite.
    'C'mon, lets go back,' she said as she stood up to leave.
  We stepped outside and walked towards the car.
  'Where do we go now?' She asked, her delicate hands on the steering wheel.
   'Nowhere. We should head back now,' I told her.
   'All right.' She hit the accelerator and revved the engine.
   'Taani can I ask you something?' I said, looking at her sideways.
   'Sure,' she said nonchalantly.
   'You probably have a couple of drivers at home. Why didn't they teach you how to drive?'
   'My dad, you know...'
   'No, i dont know,' I interrupted her.
She looked at me with an incredulous expression and then we both burst out laughing.
     'You're so funny,' she said.
     'You're beautiful,' I whispered and then almost instantly regretted it.
      Shit! I thought.
      She looked at me in wide-eyed surprise.
     'Sorry,' I muttered, biting my lower lip.
     'Never mind,' she said and added, 'Yeah, so I was saying, my father wanted me to learn driving from a prefessional driver.'
     'And you think I am professional enough?' I asked.
     'Yes, so far so good,' she said and smiled.
  I nodded, not abled to look away from her beautiful face
         ................

I sleepily looked at my watch— 10:30 a.m. I tucked it back under my pillow amd shut my eyes. It was Saturday and I could sleep till late. The door to my room was ajar and I could hear my father yelling at my mother. I pulled the blanket over my face, hoping to go back to sleep when I saw Vihaan near the bookshelf, shuffling through my things.
  'Hey, what are you up to?' I asked him, sitting up in my bed.
  'Bhai, I'm looking for your English dictionary. Can't find it outside.Is it here?'
  'Vihaan, don't disturb me. Don't you see I'm sleeping? I'll get up later and find it for you. Now go outside and shut the door!' I said and covered my face with the blanket once more.
  As I was drifting off to sleep, my cell phone beeped. It was a text message from Taani:
         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~