My World Turn Topsy-Turvyy❗️

I had gone out partying with Rey. One tequila shot turned into severaland by the time I tiptoed into my living room, first rays of the sun were streaming in. The silhouettes pf my parents sitting at the dining table startled me.

"Umm, Hi, guys. You're up early." I said as I kept my bag in a corner and swtiched on the lights. Thank God I'm not too drunk, I thought.

"Taani, where were you?" Dad asked, his face contorted with concern.
"Sorry I was at the club with my friend Rey." I told them, taking of my leather jacket.
"We have some news for you, Taani," Mom cut in.
"What?" I asked, looking at their faces.
"Yash called. Sameer has agreed to marry you."

The jacket fell from my hand and landed on the floor with a light thud. My heartbeat quickened and tears welled up in my eyes as I slowly took in what I'd just heard.

"We're so happy for you, honey." Mom said and wrapped her arms around me. I stood like a statue, still surprised.
"You're happy, right?" Dad asked, observing my reaction.

I freed myself from Mom's embrace and wipes the tears off my face.

"Yes, I am." I nodded at him, trying to smile.

A little later, I plonked myself on my bed, wondering how Sameer had agreed to marry me. It had almost been a year since we had that discussion in his office. I had thought he would take longer to decide. But perhaps knowing a girl for two years was enough for him. I felt a sudden urge to talk to him, to hear his voice. I took a deep breath before dialling his number. I wanted him to tell me that he loved me; that he was ready to marry me.

"Taani?" He whispered huskily.

A shiver ran down my spine when I heard his throaty voice.

"Sameer..." I whispered. I still didn't understand why his voice made me go weak in the knees. Fresh tears sprang from my eyes and I sniffed.

"Taani... what's wrong? Are you ok?" he asked, his voice filled with concern.
"Did you... did you say yes." I managed to ask. There was a long pause before he replied. "Yes, I did." he answered.

I closed my eyes, taking in his reply. Tears streamed down my cheeks, but I did not wipe them off.

"Taani are you there?" He asked when he didn't get a reponse. "Taani?"
"Yes, I'm here." I whispered.
"I tried calling your number but it was switched off. Where were you all night?"
"I'm sorry. I was out with a friend."
"Okay... let's talk about this in office. All right?"
"Yeah, okay," I said, wiping my face with the back of my hand.
"See you then. Goodnight."
"Goodnight." I said and ended the call.

I wondered if I should call Rey and tell him what had just happened. I felt bad for hiding the truth from him so long. I should have told him about Sameer when we first met. I knew he was upset and had every right to know what was happening in my life. Apart from that, I felt miserable about making him drink too much. Would he remember anything I told him about Sameer when he woke up?

I closed my eyes in attempt to quieten my mind. I hadn't expected Sameer to agree so soon. I wondered what had made him change his mind. What had made him say yes.

Later in the day, I dialled Rey's number to check on him. The tone of his voice told me that he was upset. I tried to apologize and even accepted my mistake but he wasn't ready to listen. Before I could tell him about the recent developments, he made an excuse and hung up.

I met Sameer in the office the same day. He looked fresh and happy or had plastered a fake smile on his face. My colleagues had gathered around my seat and the minute I arrived, they started throwing confetti on me and breaking party poppers. I was taken aback. Why did Sameer tell the others? Why was he embarrassing me? It was all so awkward. My colleagues congratulated me one by one. It was hard for me to tell how many were genuinely happy and how many were jealous. Sameer and Yash Uncle stood a few feet away, looking at me and smiling. I tucked my hair behind my ears and smiled back.