The Perfect Conversation❗️

She suggested we go to a nearby Indian Restaurant, Original Mumbai, for Lunch and I readily agreed. She talked non-stop as we walked to the eatery from Baker Street Station, telling me about the delicacies served there. After we had settled down at our table, she called the waiter and ordered a few dishes without looking at the menu or asking me. There was no doubt that she was a regular here.

  "Their biryani is really good, and the chicken cheese kebabs are to die for! Have them with the green chutney," she said after placing the order.

I didn't reply and just looked at her fixedly. She shifted uncomfortably in her chair and looked away. I realized I was making her awkward and shifted my gaze, taking in the decor of the restaurant. It was a small, cozy space with colourful furniture and kitschy wall art.

  "So, tell me..." Taani said breaking my reverie.
   "Yeah?" I asked, looking at her.
   "Dude, what are you even doing here?" she asked.
    "Uh, well, you brought me here for lunch, I guess," I answered.

She looked at me with a confused expression and then burst out laughing.

  "What happened? Why are you laughing?' I asked, nervously.
   "Stupid, I meant, what are you doing in London?" she asked, suppressing her laughter.
   "Oh, acha, Sorry. I'm doing my master's from London Business School. I got a scholarship," I said.
    "Wow," she said, clapping her hands in delight. "Kya baat hai. I mean that's amazing."
   "Thankyou." I said and smiled.
   "I didn't know you were the studious kind," she said and winked at me.
    "Well, then you don't know me at all." I said, taking a sip of water.
    "Hmm. Maybe. Where are you putting up, by the way?"
    "I am sharing a house with another person in East London. What about you? Where do you live?"

  Suddenly, the waiter appeared, bearing a tray of food. He had interrupted our conversation and we waited patiently as he placed the dishes on the table.

  "I live with family here. Willow Road, Hampstead." she said as she served me rice.
   "Oh, nice. Studying or working?" I asked, helping myself to the salad.
   "Take the chicken kebab as well." she said. "I have completed my bechelor's and I'm employed in a leading interior design company."
  "Oh, Wow! That's cool." I said, between mouthfuls. "I can't imagine you working in an office."
   "Why not?"
   "I don't know." I shrugged, smiling. "By the way, this biryani is really something."
"See I told you. Whenever you miss Indian food, just come here." She said.
"With you?" I asked her.
"Yeah." She said casually. "Ofcourse. Why not?"

I smiled at her response.
After Lunch, we walked down the road towards the nearest Tube station. The sky was beginning to dusk, it's colour changing from light blue to hues of orange.

"So, Taani what did you study in collage?" I asked her, breaking the silence.
"I took up interior design as my major. That's how I landed a job at one of the biggest design Companies, YM Designs, you know."
"No, idk." I said, a smile playing on my lips.

She laughed. And I laughed too.

"You're still funny." She said, looking at me.
"And you're still beautiful." I mumbled.
"So, uh...." her voice trailed off.
"So what does YM stands for?"
    "Yash Malhotra. That's the name of the owner."
    "Cool."
    "What about you? What you do in your free time."
    "Well, I have classes four days a week. Apart from that, I've got a part time job. I've also joined a photography club at the University."
    "Wow! Photography! I almost forgot how you loved taking pictures." she said.
    "Remember, I framed one of your pictures and gave it to you on your birthday?"
    "Oh Yeah, I remember." she said absent mindedly as her phone beeped.
     "Do you... uh... do you still have it?"

She stopped to look at me.

    "What happened?" I asked her.
    "You know. I won't lie but I think I left it in India,' she said, biting her lips.
    "Oh, right. No problem." I said, my voice laced with disappointment.
   "I hope you will take another some day."
   "Sure, why not,' I said.
   "Rey, for how long you've been here." She asked me all of a sudden.
   "It's just been two weeks." I said. "Why?"
   "I'm sure you haven't been around the city. Have you?"
   "Uh, no, I haven't."
   "Great." She jumped at the opportunity. "I'll take you on the tour!"
    "What! Are you sure?" I asked, stopping in my tracks.
     "Why not? I get free from work at 5 pm. So, yeah, I'll take you."
      "Okay. When?"
      "I'll text you the time and place."
      "Uh. I don't have you number."
       "Oh yeah. You don't. Give me your phone. I'll save it."
      "Thanks." I said.

I couldn't believe she had herself volunteered to take me around the city. Neither of us spoke as we walked to the Tube Station. I was already thinking about our upcoming rendezvous.

"Okay, time to go. I'll see you, then." she said, as we parted ways at the station.
"See you soon, Taani." I said, waving at her.
"Bye, Rey." She waved back, smiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~