The Ignorance❗️

A week had past since the night Taani had taken me to the night club and since she had told me about Sameer. I hadn't taken her phone calls since then nor had I replied to her text messages. I had many reasons to ignore her. She had broken my heart, yet again. I was angry at her and I wanted to tell her that. But, I was angrier at her for not being able to comprehend my feelings, for ignoring them when I had almost poured my heart out to her. Was that not what set her off on a rant about her feelings for Sameer? Whenever I had met her earlier, it was always evident on my face how much I loved her. My final exams were fast approaching and I couldn't afford to give heeds to these thoughts, the turmoil and the pain.
I promised myself that I would not break down. I wanted to stay strong and stick to the purpose I'd come here for. When she finally realized I'd been ignoring her. Taani drove to my place one night. She sent me a text message after arriving below my residence and asked me to come outside. I cursed myself for having given her my address. The night was freezing cold and I was only dressed in a loose cardigan and pyjamas. She seemed amused by my appearance. I frowned at her.

"What's wrong?" I asked her, my brows furrowing.

I was seeing her after a week and it felt soothing. I had missed her. At the same time, the wound was still fresh. She stopped laughing after she heard me and her face became serious.

"What's wrong with me?" She asked. "Dude, what's wrong with you? Why haven't you recieving my calls?"

"I have my finals, I told you over the phone," I said and looked away.

"Couldn't you even bother to reply to my texts? Are you that busy, nerdy?" She asked me in teasing tone.

"I told you I was busy with my exams, Taani. Don't you just het it?" I asked her sternly.

"Go fuck your exams then, Captain." She cursed me, hopped back into the car and drove away.

I stood in the freezing cold, my jaw hanging in a shock.

The next day, I decided to give Taani a call. She cut my calls initially but accepted one after a few more attempts.

"What do you want?" She asked curtly.
"I wanted to talk to you. Infact I wanted to meet you."
"Fine, Today 5 p.m. Music Store," Click. She had hung up the phone.

I finished my work at the convenience store and took the tube to meet her. At the Music store, Taani was in one of the aisles, large pink headphones astride her head.

"Hi!" I said to her with a wave and a smile.

"Hi." She paused chewing her gum and returned my greeting with what was clearly a fake smile.

"Uh, what's up?" I asked, walking closer to her.

"Nothing. You had to say something?" She asked, changing the topic.

"Look," I said with a sigh. "You don't have to act so uptight, okay? Everything's cool."

"Am I acting uptight? Oh, really?" She took off her headphones and put them down on the counter. "Who was acting uptight last night?" She said, crossing her arms, waiting for me to respond.

"I know I acted like a jerk. I shouldn't have done that I'm sorry."

"Oh right, so you are sorry now?" She said, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, I am," I said, raised my arms up in the air in mock surrender.

"You really want me to forgive you?" She asked, raising a brow.

"Yes!"
"Cool. But you have to work for it."
"Work. What work?" I asked.
"Come with me."

Had I known that all she needed was a scoop of ice-cream to forgive me, I would have come armed with some. I got her a two-scoop cup of Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie flavour from the store next door and she quickly grabbed it from my hands. I looked at her while she ate her ice-cream. I wished she knew how much I cared for her and loved her.
As we walked to the closest Tube Station, she began to talk.

"You know I really think that I should've told you about Sameer much earlier," she said, looking down.

The mention of his name annoyed me but I didn't show it when I turned to look at her.

"We've been friends for a long time but I mever brought up his name infront of you. I'm sorry I know it's my fault. I was behaving like a happy-go-lucky person all this while. I didn't care about the world, but look at me now. What a sick, lovelorn girl I've become," she said with a nervous giggle.

I looked down hiding the discomfort in my eyes.

"You know I've known him for only a few months and it already seems like a lifetime," she said, sighing, with a lost expression on her face.

"Taani?" I asked, looking at her.
"Hmm."
"Do you really love him?"

She stopped midway and turned to look at me. I stopped and looked at her too. Her eyes didn't say anything. I wish I could understand what was going on in her head but her face betrayed nothing. After a few seconds, she slowly nodded at me and then resumed walking.

"Why?" I asked to which she stopped again.
"What kind of a question is that?" She snorted as she turned around to look back at me.
"It's a simple question. Why do you think you love him?"
"There's nothing about Sameer that can stop someone from loving him. He's everything a man should be. He's extremely handsome, affluent, well-settled in a career, sophisticated and comes from a decent family. He's got everything a girl desires."
"Is that all?" I asked, quite surprised at her typical girlish response.
"Ofcourse. What else could there be?"
"No, actually, I was thinking.... what if you merely have a crush on him? What if it just an infatuation? Perhaps you're confusing attraction with love."
"Rey, I'm not a kid. I would've known if I merely had a crush on him but I don't. So, stop doubting my feelings for him," she snapped back and then started walking again.

I quickened my pace to matching her steps.

"Alright, alright. I'm sorry. I know now that you love him but what about him? Does he love you the way you do?"
"Ofcourse, he does!" She said, I could sense the annoyance in her tone.
"Has he ever told you?" I grilled her even more.
"No, he hasn't but he will!"
"How can you be so sure of that?" I asked. "What if he never does? What if you're living in an illusion? What if he doesn't love you?"
"Shutup, Rey. It's nothing like that!"
"Maybe, it is Taani. That's why he hasn't agreed to marry you yet."

She stopped once again and looked at me, her face dead serious.

"What fool would delay in marrying you, huh? Tell me," I asked her in a demanding tone.
"Stop it, Rey. Just stop it! What's your problem? Why are you acting like a fucktard since the moment I told you about Sameer?" She asked, fuming.

I looked around, anger filling every cell of my body.

"Maybe you're jealous!" She snapped.
"What!! Why would I be jealous of him?" I was shocked.
"Because Sameer has everything and you don't!"
"What the hell are you saying? I don't give a damn about what he has."
"That's good, now, listen to me," she said, pointing a finger at me. "I don't want to hear anything else from you on this topic, regarding him. Do you understand?"
"Fine, even I don't want to talk about him," I mumbled, running my fingers through my hair. I couldn't believe what she had just said. Did she really love him for these superficial reasons?
"I'm going home, and I don't think I want to be with you right now, Bye," She said, taking faster strides towards the Tube station.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First of all, really sorry for the late update!! 🙈
Actually, I came to Pakistan and there was a bit of a problem using wattpad. But now that I've solved this problem, so, I'll keep updating. ❤️❤️