The Emotional Breakdown❗️

As usual, I wake up to the empty bed. Sameer had already gone downstairs. I could hear him talking to someone on the phone. I quitely climbed down the stairs to overhear the conversation but he saw me and ended the call abruptly.

"Hey," he said, walking in my direction. It seemed as though he was hiding something behind his fake smile and this made me suspicious.

"Whom you were talking to?" I asked, folding my arms.

"Oh, it was someone from the office."

"Why would people from office call you on a Sunday?"

"He wanted to discuss our upcoming project," he said, smoothing down his eyebrow nervously.

I observed him for a few seconds, trying to assess whether he was telling the truth.

"May I know his name?" I asked.

"Why? Why do you want to know his name? Don't you trust me?" He asked, getting defensive.

"What has trust to do with this? I'm only asking his name?" I exclaimed.

"James. His name is James. He's our technical assistant. Happy now? he said, glaring at me.

"Okay." I said, chewing my bottom lips.

"God. you're such a woman." He walked away, shaking his head.

I decided to ignore the comment and get my day started. I went back to the room to have a cup of tea and get dressed. When I came down for the breakfast, Sameer told me that he was going to the office to discuss the upcoming project with james. Though it seemed odd that he was going to office on a Sunday, I kept quite and simply nodded. Sameer never worked on Sundays. This was unheard of, even when I was an employee there. After sometime, I went to the living room where my in-laws were watching TV.  When they enquired about Sameer, i told them he had gone to the office to discuss a project with James.

"James? James Paul? Our technical assistant?" Uncle Yash asked, peering me through his glasses.

"I think so, yes." I said.

"But he's not in town. He has gone to Georgia to attend a family event."

I paled visibly on hearing this. Was he sure he was talking about the same James? Or had Sameer lied to me?

"Are you sure about that, Dad? I mean you could also be mistaken?"

"No beta," he cut in. "Our HR manager discussed his leave with me last week and I approved it. I'm sure about it."

If James Paul is in Georgia, then who was Sameer talking to on the phone? And most importantly, why he lied to me?

"Yash, why are saying that my son lied to Taani?" Aunty jumped into the conversation, getting defensive.

"I'm not saying that..."

"Well, that's what you meant!" She snapped. "Taani!" She turned to me. "Please don't listen to your Dad. He might be mistaking James with someone else. Or maybe you heard incorrectly. He might have taken some other name."

"No, Mom. Sameer told me about James." I said, my voice low.

"There might be two technical assistants with the same name then. Isn't that possible?" She threw sidelong glance at my Father-in-law.

"Er... I don't think so." He said, shaking his head.

"Whatever, Taani don't pay heed to such matters. Ask Sameer once again, when he comes back. Now stop thinking so much and rest. I'll ask the maid to heat some food for you." She smiled at me.