The Honeymoon❗️

I woke up to an empty bed text morning.The curtains had been drawn back,allowing a shaft of sunlight into the room.I sat up and rested my head against the headboard.I scanned the room but Sameer was nowhere to be seen.There was no movement in the washroom which meant he was probably downstairs.A small note and bunch of fresh red rose were kept on the side table.I slowly picked up note and unfolded it.

Goodmorning,Wife
I'm soory about last night.I don,t know when I fell asleep.I promise I will make it up to you.There's an ivory dress inside your closet.Be ready by 1pm.I will pick up you and we'll go for lunch. Till then,enjoy the red roses.
Love,
Your Husband

A smil lit up my face and the rush of anger I had felt the previous night disappeqred .I made my way to the walk in cupboard to look for the dress. It was as beautiful as I had imagined it to be. I quickly got dressed and made my way down stairs to find uncle Yash and aunty at the dinning table.I told them about the lunch but they already knew about it.Sameer was known to be punctual ,and he was there on time.He wanted to take me to my favourite restruant.

"Lets go to a place neither of us has tired before,"
I suggested as he drove the car.
"Fair enough"
'I,ve been dying to try seven park place. Have you been there?'
'No. I don't think so. Shall we go there?'
'Yes . Why don,t you look it up on Google Maps?'
'Sure. Let me check.'

After lunch, we drove around aimlessly,talking and listening to music. I was ecstatic when he surprised me with news about her honymoon. He was talking me to Italy-a place thqt had been on his wish list for a long time. I did feel a twinge of dissapointment as I had thought it would be somewhere more exotic likes swizterland , Paris,Cape towm . But I did,t want to be killjoy, since he had already applied for our visa and bought the tickets. We were scheduled to leave the following days so he asked me to pack as soon as we returned home. I was thrilled. Overjoyed. Why wouldn't I be? I was living the life I'd always wanted.

I met my parents before leaving and could see how happy they were for me and the life I was leading. It all seemed perfect. Or atleast that's what we all thought at the point.

Sameer had outdone himself by booking a lavish honeymoon suite in one of the finest hotels in Florence. I was stunned by the opulence of the rooms, the comtemporary furniture and the soothing colour palette of white and greys. The balcony, which overlooked Ponte Vecchio, was adorned with colourful hanging baskets and planters. I stood there for a few seconds, drinking in the view, and then came back and plonked myself on the bed.

"Tired already?" Sameer asked, as he placed his suitcase on the luggage rack.
"Yeah, a lil bit," I said.
"You should get some sleep."
"I think... we should get some sleep," I said as I played with stray strand of hair coquettishly. It was our honeymoon afterall.
"Well," he smiled in return and stepped closer. My heartbeat quickened.
"I know you are tired, love." He caressed my cheek with his warm hand.
"I want you to rest before we go out and see this beautiful city. Meanwhile, I'll go out and finish some business meeting and when I come back I want you to be ready in your prettiest dress." He withdrew his hand from my face and turned around.
"Business meeting?" I sat up.
"What are you talking about? You're going for a business meeting? Here?" I was stunned.
"Yes, I planned it that way," he said, putting his cell phone in his pocket.
"But . . . but . . . we are here on out honeymoon, not for some business trip," I frowned.
"I know, love. It's only going to take an hour and then I'll be back."
"Did you select this place because of your meeting?" I asked him, my face solemn.
"What? No!" He laughed, "Ofcourse not, love. The meeting was impromptu. I have to meet designers from a bery prestigious interior design company. If all works out, one of them might become a partner. Anyway, I have to go now. You get some sleep and them get ready before I come back. See you." Before I could say anything, he left the room.
I felt disappointed. To distract myself, I opened Snapchat and posted a story the beautiful view. Then I called Mom and told her that we reached safely and I was already missing them. I tried to sleep but couldn't close my eyes for more than a few minutes. I was suddenly scared of being alone in the room. It was uncomfortably silent. I looked at my watch every few minutes or strained my ears for approaching footsteps. It had been already been two hours and Sameer had still not returned. I decided to wait a little longer before giving him a call. I opened one of our suitcases and picked a cool summer dress for the evening. Then I undressed and stepped into the shower. I stood under it and let the water run down my back. It calmed me down a little. I thought I heard the click of the door and quickly wrapped myself in a towel before running out. But Sameer was still not back. I took out my cellphone and dialled his number. After a few rings, his number became unreachable. I tried his number again n again but couldn't get through. Tears welled up in my eyes. I wiped them off and typed a message. Maybe he would see that and call me back. He had been away for three long hours. If he was going to be late, he should have informed me. I looked at myself in the mirror and realized that the mascara was smeared all over my face. I sat down, wallowing in self-pity. I don't know how to contact him. All I knew was that he had gone to attend a business meeting but I did not know where. After another hour passed, I decided to go downstairs and inquire about him at the help desk. Perhaps they knew his whereabouts. Maybe he hadn't even left the hotel. Maybe they had booked one of the conference hall here. With these thoughts, I rushed out of the room. I reached at the help desk and asked if they knew where my husband had gone for his meeting. I showed them his picture on my phone and reminded them that we'd checked in few hours ago. They remember his face but had not seen him leave the hotel, which meant he was still here. I felt a bit relieved. I decided to look for him and went around the hotel, checking every lounge, bar, club and restaurant, shop. I also peeped into the conference room. What if the client was staying in this very hotel and they were having the meeting in his room? I couldn't grow around checking each room, so I gave up.

I contemplated calling either Aunty or Uncle but that would just aggravate the situation. What was so important that he had completely forgotten about me? He knew I was alone in the room. Was he still at the meeting or had something happened to him? Concern and worry gripped me and I felt drained of energy. I slumped into the bed and curled up, hugging my knees. I don't remember for how long I lay in that position. I woke up when I heard the click of the door. I sat up and looked around. Sameer, still looking fresh, walked into the room and smiled at me. I quickly got off the bed and ran towards him.

  "Hey... I'm sorry, I'm late...." he said, but before he could utter another word, I started pummelling him with my fists, my face contorted with fury.

  "Taani, what are you doing?" He asked, laughing at my childish behaviour.

Hearing him laugh made me angrier and I punched him harder.

  "Okay, Taani. Stop it now, it's hurting. I said, I'm sorry."
  "Why weren't you answering my calls? Why, why, whyy?" I screamed.

When I didn't stop, he caught hold of my arms.

  "Ouchh!" I squealed in pain.
  "Okay... enough now, Taani!" he said in an irritative voice. "I have already apologized. I was having a meeting in the basement of the building and there was no network there," he said, tightening his grip around my arms digging his fingernails into my skin.

  "Sameer..." I whimpered, as fresh tears rolled down my cheeks.
  "What?" He asked.
  "You're hurting me."

He immediately released me and his expression softened.

  "I'm sorry, love," he whispered, holding my face in his hands. "I'm really sorry, I promise I won't do this again."
   "It's ok..." I shook my head.

I didn't understand what he meant by that. He wouldn't leave me alone or hurt me again? I was confused, my head hurt. He pulled me closer and wrapped his arms around me. I didn't hug him back because I was still in a state of shock. Everything seemed like a lie.

  "Let's freshen up and go get dinner. My stomach is rumbling with hunger," he said casually and walked towards the bathroom, leaving me there.

I was still shaking and tried to calm myself down. I looked at the marks his nails had left on my bare arms and then slowly walked upto the mirror to get a better look. The person who stared back was certainly not me. She was someone else. She was a mess.

                          🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧

He took me to a local restaurant nearby for dinner. He was starving but I lost my appetite. I was still angry at him. I knew confronting him wouldn't change anything as he already given an explanation and also apologized. But was it enough? No it wasn't, I didn't want an apology; I wanted attention, care, love.
He didn't utter a word throughout. I looked at him in silence as he stuffed his face with food.

  "Why aren't you eating?" He asked, between mouthfuls, his voice indifferent.
  "I guess I'm not hungry." I said, looking away.
  "I thought you were starving. C'mon, eat something,"
  "I said, I'm not hungry." I shot back.

He stop eating and looked up. "Taani, I know I've done something that I shouldn't have and I've already apologized. For how long are you going to punish me like this?"

  "What... what did you just said, Punish?" I said with a smirk. "Am I punishing you?"
  "Yeah," he said putting away his napkin. The irritation was back in his voice.

I looked away, my eyes welling with tears.

  "I'm sorry, Taani. I really am," he said and put his hand on mine. "I swear I'll never do that again. Please don't ruin this trip, please!"

I sniffed, withdrawing my hand.

  "Thankyou. Will you please finish your dinner now? Or should I do it on your behalf?" He said, flashing me a smile.

I smiled. "Let's finish it together.

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy and please do let me know you POV!💜

Dee
xoxo