The Night out❗️

It was Friday, and I was free. Since I didn't have any classes, I decided to take to tour around the city on my own. I looked for part-time jobs in the nearby areas on the internet and decided to go for walk-in interviews. There was a vacancy at a convenience store just around the corner. Caroline, the owner, greeted me as I entered the store. She asked me if I had any prior experience in handling cash registers and I said no. However, I assured her that I was quite good at managing money. She seemed relucant at first but then said she would hire me for a day to see if I could handle the pressures of the job. I readily accepted her offer. She explained the basics of the job and took me to the cash counter. A young English boy, probably around my age, was standing behind it. I shook hands with him and introduced myself. He was my colleague and Caroline asked him to show me the ropes. The day passed uneventually, and at around 5 pm she called me to her office.

'I think you handled the job effectively,' she told me.
'Thanks. So... am I hired?' I asked nervously.
'Yes, you are. You'll have to work twenty hours a week for which I will pay you 120 pounds. All right?'

I didn't know how the pay scales worked in London, ao I agreed to whatever she said.
'All right, great. See you tomorrow then.'
'Thankyou, Caroline. See you.'

I walked home feeling tired but satisfied. I was finally going to do something on my own; earn my own money.
Vikram was sitting in the living room and Mihika was putting on a pair of high-heeled sandals when I opened the door to our apartment and stepped in.

'Hey, Reyansh. What's up?' he asked, fixing his tie.
'Hi, nothing. I, uh, got a job,' I told them, closing the door behind me.
'Great! This calls for a party!' he said, beaming.
'Party?' I asked.
'We're going for a party. Do you wanna come with us?' he asked.
'Who is the host?' I asked, again.
'One of my closest friends is celebrating his birthday at a local nightclub. Do you want to come?'
'Thanks, but I'm busy. I have to finish my assignments.'
'C'mon, Reyansh. It's the weekend. Don't be so boring,' Mihika said, wrapping her bare arms around Vikram's shoulders.
'Plus, there will be a lot of girls there. Hot girls,' Vikram giggled.

I rolled my eyes.

'And.... we need someone to click pictures. I'll ask my friend if he can pay you.'
'I don't do this for money,' I told him, feeling a bit offended.

Did he really think I would go for money?

That's cool. Come with us, then. You'll have fun, promise,' Vikram said, putting his arm around my shoulder.

I looked at his hand and then at him.

'So, you are coming?' he asked.
'Okay,' I said with a nod.
'Great. Get ready in five minutes. We are already late.'

We walked to the club as it was only a few blocks away. As soon as we entered, Vikram and Mihika were ambushed by a group of people. I felt left out because I didn't know anybody. I felt the group behind and decided to look around. I switched on my camera and started taking candid shots. The place was beautiful, full of colours and vibrant people. I looked at it through my lens— an energetic couple was swirling on the dance floor; two middle-aged men were engaged in an animated conversation; a group of teenaged girls were giggling; an attractive girl was standing alone at the bar, smoking.

'Hey!' She said and helped up her hand as the flash hit her eyes.
'Oh shit,' I whispered, realizing the girl was none other than Taani. My heart stopped beating. My face crimsoned and I went weak in my knees.
    'Please don't take my pictures.' she scowled.
   'I know. I'm sorry.' I replied quickly and then turned around. I didn't have the guts to face her, let alone have a convo with her.
     'Hey, wait.' She called out to me.

I stopped. My hands trembled a little and my throat went completely dry. She walked upto me, a glass of mint margarita in her hand.

    'I think I know you.' she said as she looked up to me from head to toe.
    'No, you don't.' I replied. 'I mean, I don't know. It must be a mistake.'
    'Really. I don't think so. I mean, I'm quite sure.' She said, looking confused.
    'Well, excuse me.' I said, whizzing past her.

I quickly walked in other ditection. I'd never imagined I would bumped into her in a place lile this. What was she doing here? Was she also imvited? I wondered whom she has come with. I watched her from a distance but she seemed busy with other people— chit-chatting, drinking and smoking. I tried to avoid her and focus my attention on clicking pictures but I couldn't. Right then, someone tapped me on my shoulder, breaking my reverie. I turned around to see that a group of people had surrounded me.

    'Umm, yes?' I asked, my voice laced with nervousness.
    'Who invited you here?' one of the guy asked. He was a desi.
     'I came here with Vikram,' I told him.
     'Vikram? Who's Vikram?' the other guy asked.
     'He'a my flatmate.'
    'Do you think we care?' one of the girl asked.  'It's out party, and we've only invited people we know. So just get the hell out of here.'

  I felt embarrased, shocked and hurt. I didn't know how to respond. I looked for Vikram and Mihika but they were busy drinking and chilling with others. What was I thinking? Did I reallt think they would come to my rescue?

    Can't you hear, young man? The girl is asking you to leave.' the guy asked.

  I nodded at them and turn to leave but Taani stepped in.

    'Hey keith, all okay?' She asked one of them.
    'Yeah, Tee. We're just checking on this guy. He's been taking pictures without our permission.'
    'Well, Keith. Don't worry. He's with me,' she told them.

  I looked at her shocked.

     'Are you sure, Tee?' Keith asked, looking at me with curosity.
      'Yes, he's here with me. I know him.' She assured him.
       'Okay, Cool. Nothing to worry about, then. Have fun.'  Keith said, and eyed me suspiciously before walking away.

  Nostalgia hit me. Once again, she had saved me. Memories came flooding back as I remembered her birthday party and how she had come to my rescue there as well.

    'I... uh...' I mumbled.
    'It's okay. Have fun,' she said with a glare. I looked on as she disappeared into the crowd, my heart shattered into a million pieces.

           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~