Back To Reality❗️

We never brought up that night again. Infact, both us, mostly him, pretending like it never happened. More than being shocked, I was hurt by his nonchalant attitude. How could a mature and sensible man like Sameer behave the way he had in the past week? It all seemed so odd.

We stayed in Florence for another three days. We continue to share same bed, but didn't have sex. Sometimes, he would caress my hairs or my arms to help me fall asleep. When he was in a cheerful mood, he would even plant kisses on my forehead, claimed that he loved me but then turned to the other side and doze off. On most nights, my thoughts kept me awake. Did he not find me physically attractive? Why wasn't I able to arouse him? Did he not want me sexually? What was I missing? Was he involved with someone else? Or did he have performance anxiety? Or some other serious health issue? I soon began to fall into an abyss of depression. There were times when I wanted ton confront him again and ask him what the problem was but held myself back as it would ruin his mood. I was scared I would humiliate or debase him in the process. Also, I didn't want to seem desperate. Maybe he needed more time. We shared the same bed, the same life, still we were strangers. The growing distance between us had started to worry me.

Our holiday was over and we were flying back to London the next day. My in-laws had come to recieve us at the airport. I kept up a happy demeanour throughout. I didn't want them to think that we had issues. Sameer, on the other side, was delighted to see his parents. On our way to home, Aunty did notice my silence. She kept asking me about the trip and whether we'd enjoy ourselves. Before I could utter a word, Sameer cut in and regaled his parents with a colourful account of the trip — how it was the best trip ever and how we had the time of our lives. I looked at his face in the rear-view mirror of the car amd was stunned to see how perfectly he had masked the truth from his family. I had not enjoyed our honeymoon at all. In return, I was ridden with angst and self-doubt. He passed me a sweet smile when our eyes locked in the mirror and then look ahead. Perplexed, I slowly sank into the back seat, wondering what kind of a person he really was. He continued to babble about the trip until we reached home.

Without bothering to see if he was following me or not, I dashed out of the car and headed straight to our room. I needed some time alone to gather my bearings. I was finally back in my city, away from the loneliness. Oh loneliness! Rey! How much I missed him. I wish I could meet him! But how can I meet him after what he did? I wish you could understand me, Rey. I wish!

After calming myself down, I called my parents, informing them of my arrival. Mummy sounded extremely cheerful on the phone and invited us, me and Sameer, for the lunch next day. And she told me about— about Rey's sudden arrival. I was on my honeymoon when he visited my parents and got to know about my marriage. I was shocked, why he had came? To apologize or create more fuss? Ugh!!

"Hey, have you settled in?" Sameer asked, as he entered the room few minutes later.
"Yes." I said. "I was . . . uh . . . speaking to Mummy on the phone. She had invited us for lunch tomorrow."
"Sounds great" he flashed me a smile. "I'll take a quick showe."
"Sure." I nodded.
"By the way, Mom asked about you. Please make sure you give her all happy details about our honeymoon," he said, before leaving the room.

I was stunned. So he was conscious of the fact that he had ruined our honeymoon.

"What do mean?" I asked, holding the bathroom door.
"Well," he sighed. "What I meant was, just tell her what a lovely time we had in Florence. The places we visited, the food we had, the stuff we purchased, you know."

"Is that it?" I asked, flinching.
"Is that it what?" He said with a shrug.
"Sameer . . ." I took a deep breath to regain in composure. "Did we really have a lovely time in Florence?"
"Ofcource sweetheart, we had a wonderful time. What made you think otherwise?"