The New Chapter❗️

London, UK

I sat up with a jerk as the aircraft approached touchdown at heathrow Airport. It was dark outside and I could see the runway lights glimmering below.

Harman Mamu had already spoken to one of his friends based in London to help me get accommodation. Ashok, his childhood friend, had arranged for an apartment in East London that I would be sharing with another person. He had asked me to download an app called Uber, as soon as I reached the airport, to book a cab to reach the apartmemt. I followed his instructions carefully and was soon in a homebound taxi. I was really impressed with the technology, and made a mental note to discuss it with Harman Mamu.

As the taxi exited the airport, I rolled down the window amd let the wind gush while I feasted my eyes on the London landscape. I called my family to inform them that I had reached. Maa was almost in tears on hearing my voice. Thankfully Vihaan intervened and calmes her down.

The driver dropped me off outside the apartment building. I dragged my suitcase across the road and stepped on the porch. No one responded to the first knock on the door, so I knocked a few more times. I wondered if the address was correct, double-checked it, resumed knocking and was just about to give up when someone yanked open the door.

'Are you Reyansh Singhania?' a drowsy voice asked.

A man with a handsome face had opened the door. He was wearing a pair of shorts and a loose V-neck vest.

'Uh, yes. That's me.' I told him, heaving a sigh of relief.
'Cool. Come in.' he said, yawning.

I made my way into the apartment, which jad cream-coloured walls adorned with ivory curtains. A plasma-screen TV was affixed to one of the walls and the bookshelf next to it was stuffed with books of all sizes. A three-seater couch with colourful cushions was at the centre of this lounge. I kept my backpack on the floor while I took in the decor.

'Your room is upstairs. You can put your stuff their.' The guy, probably my flatmate, picked up my backpack and threw it back at me.

I was startled at his odd behaviour. He didn't offer to help me carry my luggage to the room, so I picked it all up and started climbing the stairs. The room assigned to me was not all that bad. It was small, the walls painted a sky blue, except for one which was a floor-to-ceiling window. A wooden cupboard and a study table occupied the remaining corners. I drew the curtains and leaned over the windowsill to get a better view of the road below.

'Dude, are you hungry? Do you wanna eat something?' a voice called out from behind.

Startled, I turned around to find my flatmate standing at the door, a bowl of spaghetti in his hand.

'No, thanks. I'm fine.' I said.
'Sure.'
'Yeah.'
'I'm Vikram, by the way. I own this place,' he said, with a wave of his hand.
'Oh. Nice to meet you, Vikram. I'm Reyansh.'
'I know. You've come from Mumbai. I'm from Dehli.

I smiled at him.

'Well, I hope you're already aware of the payment terms and conditions?'
'Yeah, I know,' I said with a nod.
'Cool. See you around them,' he said, closing the door behind him.

I hurriedly took out my DSLR— a priceless possession I had purchased from my savings— and took a picture of the view infront of me. I smiled when I saw the results in the small camera screen.

I don't know when I fell asleep. When I woke up, the room was engulfed in darkness. I checked my mobile phone to see the time. I had slept for three hours straight. My stomach growled with hunger. I got off the bed, straightened my clothes and made my way outside. I could hear blaring music from the living room and wondered if Vikram was still around.

'Vikram?' I called out, but there was no response.

I made my way downstairs and entered the living room. There was no one in sight. The TV was on but nobody was watching it. I looked around and finally found the kitchenette. I opened the fridge to see if there was something to eat. I found a can of orange juice. I couldn't find a clean glass, so I drank directly from it.

It was eerily quite inside so much so that the hum of the refrigerator was distinctly audible. I shuddered a little as I threw the empty can in the dustbin and then hurried back to my room. As I crossed Vikram's room, soft moans of pleasure caught my attention. I stepped closer to the door and the took a step back as the bed suddenly squeaked. I knew what was going inside. I trembled a little and my cheeks turned a deep crimson. I almost ran to my room and quickly shut the door.

I woke up early the next morning as I did not want to be late on my first day. I quickly took a shower and out on a pair of faded jeans and grey pullover. Aa I made my way towards the staircase, I noticed that Vikram's door was ajar. I wondered where he had gone at 8:30 a.m. I realized I should hurry and ran down the steps but stopped abruptly as I reached the kitchenette. A pretty girl, dressed in loose t-shirt that hung over her bare shoulder and denim shorts, was sitting at the counter, sipping milk directly from a carton.

'Hi,' she said in a husky voice.

I simply nodded at her and turned my gaze towards the refrigerator which was still slightly open. I opened it and took out another carton of milk and poured some in a glass.

'You want me to make breakfast for you?' She asked, leaning over the counter.

I was slightly surprised at her question. Why would she make breakfast for me?

'Hmm?' She waited for my response.

I was busy checking her out. She looked sensual in those night clothes. I gulped a mouthful of milk before replying. 'No thanks,' I said, looking at my wristwatch.

'By the way, I'm Mihika. Vikram's....'
'By the way...' I cut her in between. 'I am getting late. Maybe we can catchup later? Take care. Bye,' I said putting the glass on the counter.

London Business School was located on the northwest side of the city. After a ten-minute walk, I reached Westminister Station. From there, I took the Tube to Baker Street Station. It was ten minute walk from here to the University. As I walked down the cobbled street, I couldn't stop marvelling at the beauty of the city. The architecture of LBS was stunningly beautiful. As I entered the campus, I noticed there was a sports centre, a restaurant, three cafés and a library all under one roof.

As I made my way inside the university, I was blown away with it's sheer elegance and beauty. One part of the university was still under comstruction, which indicated it was soon going to expand. I asked one of the students for the direction to the office. The administrator gave me a few forms to fill and then congratulated me for getting a scholarship. There were only a few from my country who had got this opportunity.

'Thankyou,' I said. 'Uh, are there any extracurricular clubs I can be a part of? A media club?'
'Yes, there are,' the administrator told me.
'I want to join the photography club, if there's any.'
'There's one. I'll add your name to the member's list so you can be notified of the upcoming sessions. Welcome to LBS,' she said, smiling.
'Thankyou.' I smiled back at her, feeling giddy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~