The Unexpected!

I woke up groggy the mext morning, unable to open my eyes. I could hear Maa and Dad yelling at eachother. She'd asked him to pay the overdue telephone bill which he replied that he didn't have the money. As I got out of the bed, I realized I had a splitting headache. I rubbed the back of my head with my hand, trying to get rid of the pain. It didn't work. The highlights of Taani's birthday party last night flashed infront of my eyes. I had left the party with mixed feelings. I had been humiliated by Taani's friend and felt hurt by their jibes, almost on the verge of crying. Then, Taani had followed me out to stop me from leaving and when I asked her what I meant to her, she had responded by kissing me. I touched my lips and realized why I was smiling.
     'What's up, bhai? What's with the smile, haan?' Vihaan asked, teasing me.
     'Nothing.' I said and threw a pillow at him.
  I took a shower and quickly dressed for school. I was looking forward to seeing Taani. I had a lot of questions after last night. She had kissed me. Were we more than friends? I wanted to know what she had to say.
  I parked my car at the school parking lot and headed towards my class and her. I didn't spot her in the Commerce class. Perhaps she was not in the class yet. I plonked down on my seat and looked around. I saw her friends on the back benches. Taani was not with them.
  I realized that her driving classes were also over. It meant that I would not meet her that day. I did send a few text messages to her phone but she did not reply. I was worried if she was ignoring me deliberately or if something was wrong. I contemplated asking her friends but rejected the idea. Those who considered me her driver would not tell me anything about her.
    'Rey, why do look so messed up?' Swayam asked me during recess.  
     'I don't know. I don't know, where she is?' I told him, biting my nails.
      'C'mon dude, she must be at home today. Perhaps resting? These rich people's parties last till late in the night. She must have danced all night and is now sleeping till late.'
   I considered what Swayam had said and then tried to change the subject.
     'Maybe you are right. Let's forget about it. I have to revise for the test.' I picked up my book and started to read.
     'Yeah, we better do that.'
  I sent her a few more messages in the evening while I was at Harman Mamu's office. There was still no reply. Finally, at night, I mustered some courage and gave her a call. The phone rang at first and was then switched off. It seemed unusual to me. All I could do was to wait till the next day and see if she showed up at school.
  However, Taani didn't come to school all of the next week. Finally my paitence ran out and imI asked her friends.
     'Why isn't she coming to school?' I asked Vicky and Simmi during the break.
      'Who?' Vicky asked nonchalantly.
     'You know whom I am talking about.' I crossed my arms.
      'Taani.'
      'Yes.'
       'You don't know. We thought you were her friend.' He started laughing.
    I crossed my brows in confusion.
      'Well we are sorry about the other night. We didn't mean to offend you. Taani didn't like it when we joke about you. She was angry with all of us. So yeah, sorry about that.' Rinni said, pursing her lips together.
   I was happy that Taani had gone to her friends and asked them to apologize to me. I felt like hugging her at this moment.
      'It's fine. Can you tell me where she is?'
     'She is moving to London with her Family. Their flight departs tomorrow.'
      'What!' I said. I felt the words suck the life out of my body.
       'We thought she told you,' Nilesh said with a tone of surprise in his voice.
       'No, she didn't.' I said.
      'Doesn't matter, mate. It's not like you can do anything about it. She's leaving anyway.'
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~