The Unexpected❗️

After few days, I was out with Taani for lunch at one of her favourite restaurants.

"How's the food?" Taani asked me as she took a bite from her naan-e-barbari, one of the signature dishes made by the restaurant.
"It's good. It's different." I nodded and said.
"I told you so," she said, smiling at me.
"Is there any place you haven't taken me to yet?"
"Oh c'mon. There are loads of places that I'd like you to visit. There is still alot of London for you to see."
"I'm sure of that."

Most of the time, when we were out for lunch or dinner, I never let Taani pay. She insisted but I would not have it. I knew I was overstepping my budget but my part-time job helped me manage.

"So, you enjoyed the food?" She asked me after lunch.
"Yeah, the food was good. But, honestly, I felt the place was a bit boring." I replied, amazed at my audacity.
"No doubt, it is. Hey, Rey!" She stopped mid-way looking at me.

I glanced at her sideways, raising a brow.

"Wanna have some real fun?" She asked me in an excited tone.

I looked at her, surprised, wondering what she was upto.

"Fun?" I asked her.
"Yeah, dude. Real fun!" she said, with a wink.

Taani's idea of 'real fun' was a trip to nigh club. Yes, a nightclub. I couldn't imagine myself ever going to a nightclub, let alone with Taani. For a moment, I was judgemental about Taani. How often did she go to nightclubs? Was it routine for her or she just want to show me the club? Taani said that the club, The Nest, has recently opened but was the place to be. So it was always packed with the clubbers. The atmostphere inside gave me a rush—the main hall was dimly lit except for the flashing strobe lights. People of all the ethnicities were on the dance floor, their bodies swaying to the rhythm of the beat. The bar area was packed with people keeping the bartender busy with unending orders of alcohol and fizzy drinks. Every corner of the club buzzed with energy.

"I see that you really like the place," Taani shouted in my ears, bringing me back from my reverie.
"No!" I blurted. "I was just...you know... checking out.."
"Checking out the hot girls?" She completed my sentence before I could and nudged my arm playfully, placing a cigarette between her lips.

My face flushed with embarrassment.

"No... not the girls, I meant the place." I said. I could feel my cheeks on fire.
"I wouldn't mind if you checked out the girls," she said, patting me on my shoulder. "Come, let's get drinks."
"Okay," I said, following her towards the bar.

We made it to the bar counter after wading through the crowd of drunk people, many of whom we bumped into.
"What would you like to have?" Taani shouted over the deafening music from the speakers.
"Umm— a lime sode?"
"What? Are you serious?" Her face fell.
"Yeah, what's wrong?"
"You're going to have a lime soda in a night-club?" Taani said with a look of shock on her face.

I shrugged.

"I bet they don't even have lime soda on the menu here," she said, rolling her eyes.
"Then, what....?"
"Let me order for you."

I didn't know what she was going to order. I looked around the nightclub. Everyone seemed to be comfortable and were focused only on enjoying the night.

"Two tequila shots, please." she told the bartender, beaming.

I heard about tequila shots but I never had a chance to try them. I had never been to a nightclub back in Mumbai.

"Hey, are you stupid?" I hissed in the ear. "We can't drink that."
"Why not, are you here for fun or not, Captain?" she asked.
"I am, but..."
"Then relax and trust me. I won't let anything happen to you." She said, smiling.