The Inevitable❗️

It had been few weeks since Taani and I had spoken to each other. I had got busy with preparing for my midterms and then had spent extra hours at the store. I would be kying if I hadn't missed Taani. I would check my phone often, hoping to recieve a call or message from her. But that never happened. My three-week semester break had begun and I was trying hard to keep myself busy and not to think about her.
I looked at the clock as it struck 11 p.m. It was Saturday evening but I was still at the store, working a double shift. I sauntered out around midnight and slowly made my way towards the apartment. As I stepped on to the porch, I saw Vikram and Mihika exiting the front door.

  "Hey dude, what's up?" Vikram asked, shutting the door behind him.
  "Nothing, just tired. Had a double shift today," I said, climbing up the stairs.
  "Tired, already? It's Saturday Night!" Vikram exclaimed. "We're going to the pub down the road. Do you want to come along for a few drinks?"

  I narrowed my eyes, thinking what to do. I had a long day and was allowed to have little fun, so I said yes.
We drove to the pup in Vikram's car. Vikram and Mihika got busy with friends as soon as we entered, leaving me alone. I walked towards the bar to get myself a drink. A blonde wearing a short electric-blue dress was perched atop a bar stool, her gaze fixed on me. She smiled at me conquettishly and beckoned me to join her.
  She asked me buy her a drink, so I ordered a tequila shot for her. When she realized I hadn't ordered anything for myself, she called the bartender and ordered one for me as well.
  She winked at me before downing the drink and then ordered another round. I took a deep breath and gulped mine too, one after the other. She ordered another round and then another. I soon lost track and drained shot after shot. She then held my hand and led me to the dance floor. She puts her hand around my neck and started swaying to the music. I tried to match her steps but was reminded of Taani and our night together. Er face flashed infront of my eyes. I felt dizzy and the music felt uncomfortably loud. The darkness closed in on me and I felt trapped in girl's arms. I moved away from her as a wave of claustrophobia hit me. I ran out pf club in a panic, my heart thudding in my chest. I leaned against the wall and tried to get my bearings. I folded my arms against the bitting wind and walked unsteadily in the direction of my apartment. I couldn't see where I was going and before I knew it,  I was in the middle of the road. Headlights from a speeding car blinded me and I covered my face with my arms. I waited and waited until I heard a loud thud.
  After few hours, I woke up in my bedroom. My body ached. My head hurt. I sat up and checked the time on my cell phone— it was 2 a.m.

  "Rey, how are you feeling now?" Mihika peeped into the room, holding a mug in her hands. Vikram stood behind her.
  "Yeah, I feel better," I said, dragging myself out of the bed.
  "Why did you drink so much if you knew you wouldn't be able to handle it?" Mihika asked as she sat next to me.
  "I don't know.... I don't remember anything. How did I ... end up here?"
  "We found you walking in the middle of the road. Vikram saved you in the nick of time."

I looked at Vikram, he nodded assuringly.

  "We brought you home and splashed water on your face, but you wouldn't wake up. You kept asking for Taani in your sleep."

My face crimsoned on hearing this.

"What? Did I....really say her name?" I asked, embarrassed.
  "You're in love with this girl, huh?" Vikram teased me.
   "We're so worried and call Taani here. It seemed like the reasonable thing to do."
   "Wait, what did you do?" My heart thumped loudly in my chest.
   "We've got Taani's number from your phone and called her. Simple." Vikram said.
    "What!" I stood up, feeling a rush of adrenaline. "Why would you guys do that?" I scowled.
   "Because we didn't have an option."
   "Damn" I hissed.
   "She is on her way." Mihika said. "You'd better have a cup of coffee before she comes."
    "No, I'm absolutely fine. You tell me, why did you call her?"
    "Well, you just woke up. You were really in a bad state an hour ago. You should thank us for not contacting your family members."
   "Damn,Damn,Damn..." I said, pacing the room.
   "Wait, I think she is already here. I heard a car pull up in the driveway," Vikram said and left the room.