The Invitation!

Rumours about out growing friendship soon spread like wildfire. One day, Swayam, my only good friend asked me about the whole situation.
'What did you do, man? I thought Taani never gave you any attention,' he asked.
'Well, to be honest, I thought the same. I guess luck got us together. Neither of us made an effort to be friends. Everything happened on it's own. I volunteered to take driving lessons for Mamu's company and then later found out that the client was none other than Taani.' I told him.
    'Awesome, Are you friends?'
    'Umm, I don't know. We've never discussed it.'
    'The way she's been telling everyone about her new driving instructor, it seems she already considers you her friend. Otherwise she would have never mentioned it to anyone.'
      'Yeah, maybe.'
       'Or...'
       'Or what?'
       'Or maybe she's trying to embarrass you by telling everyone that you re nothing to her but a driving instructor.'
  His words hit me hard.
       'What?'
        'Yeah, man. I'm telling you to be careful. These rich people can really be mean sometimes.'
   I considered what he said. Why had I never given any thought to this before? What if she had never considered me as her friend but only an ordinary driving instructor?
  I strolled down the corridor with these thoughts crowding my mind. I stopped infront of my locker to collect a few books.
     'Rey!' A sweet, melodious voice called me from behind.
  I turned around to find Taani standing across the corridor.
        'What's up?' she asked even as she walked in my direction.
        'Nothing much, I've a class to catch. I'll see you later.' I said, not looking her in the eye.
   I've hurriedly locked the locker, my fingers shivering. I knew I was upset with her, but I was not sure if I could confront her. Before I could walk away, she grabbed my arm.
  I was surprised at her behaviour.
      'What!' I snapped at her.
      'You can't just walk away from me like that,' she replied, her face solemn.
        'Why not?' I asked.
        'It's my birthday tomorrow. I wanted to invite you.' She said as she let go of my hand.
       'Why me?'
        'Excuse me?' she asked.
       'Yeah, why do you want to invite me?' I asked her, crossing my arms.
        'I'm inviting all my friends, C'mon.'
  I was stunned to her reply.
       'Am I your.... friend?' I asked, narrowing my brows.
      'Ofc. You are duh! What made you doubt that?'
      'Nothing.' I smiled at her. I was relieved.
      'So... will you come?'
      'Yes, I will.' I nodded.
      'Awesome! So tomorrow 5 p.m. at my place then. See you!' She tapped my shoulder lightly before walking away.
  I stared at her till she was out of sight and then smiled to myself. 
  After school, I went straight home. A lot had to be done before the party and there wasn't much time. First, I needed to decide what I would wear. I opened my cupboard and pulled out all my clothes. I pinched myself even as I picked out my shirts. It was hard to believe that she had invited me. She considered me her friend. Her friend. The thought made me smile.
  It suddenly hit me that I hadn't decided what I would give her. I did not have enough money to buy an expensive gift but I didn't want her rich friends to pick on me for getting a cheap one. Since she loved the photographs l'd taked of her, I decided to frame it for her.
                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~