Truth Or Dare❗️

It was Sunday, and I planned to finish all my household chores. I started off with laundry. After a tiring morning, I had just settled on my bed and opened my laptop to Skype with Maa and Vihaan, when Vikram walked in, holding a spatula.

    "Hey, Rey, want to have some breakfast?" He asked, startling me. Once again, he hadn't bothered to knock.
    "Uh, no, thanks. I'm fine," I said.
    "You sure?"
     "Yeah, man. Thanks for asking though."

Around lunchtime, I went downstairs to get something to eat. There were no leftovers in the refrigerator, and there were no groceries either. I should have accepted Vikram's offer, I thought regretfully. Feeling disappointed, I walked back to the living room and plonked myself on the couch. Memories of yesterday's lunch with Taani came rushing back, bringing smile to my lips. I took out my phone and dialled her number. My heart thumped with excitement with the ringing of the phone.

   "Hi, who's there?" She answered.
   "Hi, Taani." My heartbeat quickened. "It's me."
    "Me, who?" She asked sarcastically.
     "Rey," I said, narrowing my brows.
    "Who Rey?" She asked.

I was taken aback by her question. How could she forget me in a day? Was she pulling my leg or had she actually forgotten me? "Taani, it's me, Reyansh... your friend. We met yesterday..." my voice trailed off.
    "Oh, shitt!! Reyansh... Rey! I'm so sorry, yaar ... I was in Gym. What's up?"
    "Uh, it's ok, never mind. I just got free. Was wondering if you were free today?" I asked nervously.
     "Why don't you meet me at Hard Rock Café at 5 pm. I'll be there with a few friends. Come, join us."
     "Uh...." I didn't know what to say.
     "Rey...?"
     "Yeah?"
     "Don't be shy," she laughed."You're coming. See you. Bye!" she said and hung up.

Her forwardness brought colour to my cheeks, and I looked down at the phone in my hand, a smile playing on my lips. I contemplated what to do for a few minutes and then rushed up the stairs to get ready.
   I reached Old Park Lane where the café was situated at 5:30 pm. Taani and her friends were sitting at a corner table, deep in conversation. I had never met her friends before and felt a little awkward. But then I mustered up the courage and walked up to their table.
     "Hi," I said, looking at Taani.

Her face lit up with a warm smile on seeing me.
    "Rey!!" she exclaimed, getting up and leaning forward to give me a quick hug. "How are you?"
    "I'm fine." I said.
    "Guys, meet Reyansh a.k.a Rey. We used to study together in India."  Taani introduced me to her friends.
      "Hi Reyansh!" The girls said in unison.
      "Hi!" I said, waving my hand.
       "What will you have?" one of the girl asked.
       "This Naina, my bestfriend!" Taani said.

In the excitement, she had forgotten to let go of my hand. And her hand sent thousands of shivers down my spine.
   After we had settled down, Taani ordered a burger for me. Soon everyone got busy talking. I contributed to the conversation occasionally but mostly kept quite. Sensing my plight, Naina suggested we play a game, truth or dare. Taani agreed instantly. She rotated an empty beer bottle and as luck would have it, it stopped at me.

   "So Reyansh, truth or dare?" Naina asked.

I looked around the table, assessing their facial expressions. Taani eyed me curiously. I didn't want to get myself in trouble, so I chose the safer option.

   "Truth," I replied
   "Woah!" Taani exclaimed.
   "So, tell us about your first crush?" Naina asked.

I immediately regretted my decision of choosing truth, or even agreeing to play this game. How could I tell them the truth?

    "Rey, tell us na!" Taani insisted.
    "Um— Yeah...." I mumbled.
    "Hurry up! You can't take so much time..." one of them said.
     "She was in my school..." I said, lowering my eyes.
     "What? Really?" Taani said, her eyes with with shock.

I nodded.